Hmmm ... $80 Firefox phone ... $695 Ubuntu phone

Story: The $80 Firefox OS phone is perfect for hunting season!Total Replies: 10
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Aug 16, 2013
12:24 PM EDT
$80 Firefox phone ... $695 Ubuntu phone: There's a veritable Grand Canyon between them ...
Bob_Robertson

Aug 16, 2013
1:39 PM EDT
Yet you know someone will buy the Ubuntu phone. Is it brown?
djohnston

Aug 16, 2013
3:14 PM EDT
Quoting:Yet you know someone will buy the Ubuntu phone.

Probably. But, Canonical has to actually create it first. The Indiegogo fundraiser has 5 days left with $10.5 million raised out of the $32 million goal. Doesn't look promising.

BernardSwiss

Aug 16, 2013
4:22 PM EDT
> Is it brown?

No, this is a NEW Ubuntu product -- so it's purple.
dag

Aug 16, 2013
5:04 PM EDT
The Firefox phone is orange I could not see myself sporting an orange phone. hopefully the case can be changed or I would take it to the car detail shop.

I would never pay that much for a phone(ubuntu phone) but I would invest that much into a project I believed in.
JaseP

Aug 16, 2013
5:20 PM EDT
I paid nearly the Ubuntu phone price for my Nokia N900,... But that was more a mobile computer than a phone... Way ahead of its time (and still sports features other phones lack). As for the Firefox phone,... I think it'll be a "Bang" with hunters, as the author jokes... But the low price makes it perfect for a Smart-phone newbie, a kid, or use as a cheap home automation control device...
notbob

Aug 17, 2013
9:57 AM EDT
JaseP wrote:I think it'll be a "Bang" with hunters, as the author jokes... But the low price makes it perfect for a Smart-phone newbie, a kid, or use as a cheap home automation control device..."

Poorly jokes, IMO.

I don't see the color as having anything to do with hunting, but brilliant marketing. It literally screams, "I'm NOT your ubiquitous android/iphone". Perfect for the wanna-stand-out-from-the-masses geek and a red flag for those fed up with the big two. If Tracfone offers it, I may get one, the price being about twice what I think a smart phone is worth, but waaay cheaper than the competition.
flufferbeer

Aug 17, 2013
2:26 PM EDT
Seems to me that PRICE is the most compelling attraction for this smartphone. Just like the cheap price of the Raspberry Pi which keeps on attracting so many people to purchase THAT device/board !!

2c
seatex

Aug 17, 2013
3:13 PM EDT
> Seems to me that PRICE is the most compelling attraction for this smartphone. Just like the cheap price of the Raspberry Pi which keeps on attracting so many people to purchase THAT device/board !!

Well, it is why I will probably buy one. That, and to support Mozilla and competition in this Apple vs. Google market. Also, I prefer phones that don't take a car payment to replace if I drop and break them.
lcafiero

Aug 18, 2013
12:16 PM EDT
I'm with notbob: It was a ridiculous angle to try to go with the "hunter" jokes. If I had $80 to spare, I'd check this out, regardless of the color; only because I didn't have $800 to give to a half-billionaire so I could fund his private company's R&D on a phone we may never see.
montezuma

Aug 18, 2013
5:30 PM EDT
Comes in blue as well. Full specs here:

http://www.gsmarena.com/zte_open-5320.php

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!