YouTube volume settings

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
djohnston

Oct 04, 2013
5:17 PM EDT
I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing. I've always had the video player on YouTube set to maximum volume. It's something that, once set, never had to be adjusted. Until a couple of days ago. For some odd reason, every time I start a new Firefox session and play a video from a link to the YouTube site, or a video directly on the site, the volume is at zero. It's a minor nuisance. I have to set the volume to maximum, and it stays there until I close the browser. Once the browser is re-opened, the YouTube video player's volume level is again at zero. I've had no system or Firefox updates in the same timeframe. Seems kinda weird that the volume setting will no longer hold between browser sessions after all these years.

uname -a

Linux AMD64 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.46-1+deb7u1 x86_64 GNU/Linux

User agent

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/24.0

Steven_Rosenber

Oct 05, 2013
2:35 AM EDT
I nominate PulseAudio.
djohnston

Oct 05, 2013
3:05 AM EDT
Thanks, Steven. I dunno. I've gone through the Adobe Flash Player settings, as well as the site, and I don't see anything out of the ordinary.

libpulse0 and libpulse0:i386 are installed, as well as vlc-plugin-pulse (I just removed it). But, those are the only pulse-related packages. I'll keep looking.

notbob

Oct 05, 2013
2:19 PM EDT
I jes noticed it for the first time, this morning. Slackware 13.37, seamonkey 2.1b3. u2b volume at zero. ??
notbob

Oct 05, 2013
2:31 PM EDT
Uh-oh!

I jes noticed a warning at the top of u2b:

"Alert icon You're using an older version of Mozilla Firefox that we'll soon stop supporting. Please update your browser to the latest version."

WT? (happy?) is going on, now?

I'm not gonna upgrade my distro jes cuz these turkeys refuse to remain backward compatible. I'm getting so I really hate google. :(

tmx

Oct 05, 2013
2:48 PM EDT
This is a cross platform issue, seems to be on Google's side. I tried with different browsers, Internet Explorer, no extensions, no custom host, still issues.

But doesn't affect mobile platform, just change your userstring to Android or iOS device.
djohnston

Oct 05, 2013
5:17 PM EDT
Quoting:But doesn't affect mobile platform, just change your userstring to Android or iOS device.

Weird. Is Google trying to say the desktop is "dead"? :^( Has anyone tried on ChromeOS?

djohnston

Oct 12, 2013
10:29 PM EDT
@tmx,

Volume settings are back to normal again. They now survive a browser restart. Was definitely on Google's side. Thanks for testing.

You cannot post until you login.