Learn to innovate

Story: Patent war goes nuclear: Microsoft, Apple-owned “Rockstar” sues GoogleTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
cmost

Nov 02, 2013
1:03 PM EDT
Instead of leveraging patents to quash competitors, all of these companies (e.g., Microsoft, Apple, RIM, etc.) need to simply learn how to innovate. Honestly, let the best software win! I'm growing sick and tired of companies using patents to harm consumers by preventing innovation from entering the marketplace! The U.S. needs to fix its horribly broken patent system like pronto!
JaseP

Nov 03, 2013
12:30 AM EDT
Software isn't even supposed to be patentable (barring another patentable component besides the software,... like automated rubber molds... )...
jdixon

Nov 04, 2013
1:50 AM EDT
> Since I made the last mile or so successfully, there wasn't any reason to

I'm hoping Google will fight to the last dollar arguing that as one of the points.
Bob_Robertson

Nov 04, 2013
10:15 AM EDT
I realize that abolishing the patent system entirely seems extreme. The reality is slowly being realized that the system _itself_ costs far more than it benefits.

Sadly, concentrated benefits with distributed costs makes those costs extremely hard to demonstrate. This, however, is so obviously destructive to anything like promoting "the progress of science and useful arts" that I cannot see how anyone could support it.
jsusanka

Nov 04, 2013
12:54 PM EDT
wow all that effort to find how their patents are being infringed.

this is exactly like sco when microsoft used sco as a proxy to sue IBM.

what a joke.

microsoft will not allow any open source on the market and they will pay anything to keep their users locked into their technology.

now I know why an unlocked phone cost more than a laptop.

all this innovation I just can't stand it it is so coooooooooooooool.

microsoft continues their practices after the netscape trial and continue to hold technology down. I wish they would go away and I really hate looking at any windows product.

but now that they got the department of education in their pocket and we are teaching fourth graders how to do power point presentations all they have to do is sue android out of the market place and things will be rosey.

I will never buy a windows product period end of story. I will go without technology before any of my money goes to microsoft. They invented nothing except how to patent troll and sue through proxies.
Bob_Robertson

Nov 04, 2013
4:19 PM EDT
Well said, Jsusanka
jdixon

Nov 04, 2013
4:26 PM EDT
> I will never buy a windows product period end of story.

I can't disagree. Unfortunately, Apple is also in the group, so that also lets out the main alternative for most people.

So it looks like one of Linux/Chrome/Android/BSD are the only real options if you don't want to support this.
JaseP

Nov 04, 2013
4:33 PM EDT
Quoting: I will never buy a windows product period end of story. I will go without technology before any of my money goes to microsoft. They invented nothing except how to patent troll and sue through proxies.

I agree with your strategy,... But, they didn't even invent the patent troll thing... They stole that too.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!