Richard Stallman would never...

Story: Linux Developers Asked To Distance Themselves From RMSTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
AwesomeTux

Dec 24, 2013
3:49 AM EDT
Richard Stallman would never...

1. Post any kind of campaign/presentation on imgur or any other website besides fsf.org or gnu.org.

2. Seriously recommend people use HURD instead of Linux, he knows HURD's not ready and would sooner suggest Linux-libre or a fully free distro than HURD.

3. Be that forceful about what people should call the operating system, he's only ever politely suggested people use "GNU/Linux", never has he been forceful about it.

This has to be someone trolling the mailing list, everything about this is just not RMS' style. And the "[GNU] comprises less than 15%" part is just hilarious considering Linux comprises even less than that (0.1% maybe.)
azerthoth

Dec 24, 2013
4:27 AM EDT
I dsiagree this falls well within the level of this mans hubris. Years ago I wrote an article about the fading diva grasping for one more, one last flaming glory in the limelight. All quotes and words to the contrary, the man has that disease seven fold.
kikinovak

Dec 24, 2013
4:56 AM EDT
Quoting:"... he's only ever politely suggested people use "GNU/Linux", never has he been forceful about it."

A colleague of mine has made a video documentation about GNU, Linux and free software here in France, with an interview of Richard Stallman. He confessed afterwards that the interview was "a nightmare". Basically, it was impossible for him to ask the most simple questions without RMS being extremely picky about correcting every single word and term and definition.

As far as I'm concernced, my position is completely ambivalent. I admire RMS for the pioneer work he's done on GNU, the FSF and the GPL. On the other hand, what a diva...
mbaehrlxer

Dec 24, 2013
5:39 AM EDT
is this the right time to point out that Linux is a recursive acronym too?

Gnu is Not Unix / Linux Is Not UniX

greetings, eMBee.
mbaehrlxer

Dec 24, 2013
6:01 AM EDT
btw: i found this interesting comment in the phoronix discussion:
staalmannen wrote:Before Android I thought that the GNU/Linux name was useless since it was implicit in the name Linux. Now that Linux (the kernel) supports multiple userlands ("operating systems") - currently primarily Android and some busybox/uclibc embedded systems (and the interesting Alpine distro), but lots of interesting new development with musl libc, llvmlinux, toybox or sbase/ubase is in the works and will result in a more diverse Linux ecosystem - GNU/Linux or Lignux serves a purpose to more accurately describe the OS.

that's a great point i have not considered before.

greetings, eMBee.
penguinist

Dec 25, 2013
1:16 AM EDT
mbaehrlxer: I agree completely on the gnu/linux naming scheme. I have also been using the terms gnu/linux and android/linux to differentiate between the completely different user spaces in those systems.

Naming the kernel alone is not enough to fully describe a system. RMS was ahead of his time when he tried to point this out to us.
Fettoosh

Dec 25, 2013
5:59 PM EDT
Hmmm, LiGnux! sounds close to EggNog. Lol

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Bob_Robertson

Dec 26, 2013
10:41 AM EDT
I'd end up calling it Lugnuts.
gus3

Dec 26, 2013
6:57 PM EDT
Lignite.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!