In other news,...

Story: Shuttleworth says Ubuntu will switch to systemdTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
JaseP

Feb 16, 2014
1:34 PM EDT
In other news, the team working on Upstart is rumored to downsized or reassigned (Just Kidding,... but maybe not)...
tuxchick

Feb 16, 2014
4:30 PM EDT
lol. Well, one of the touted benefits of FOSS is less duplication of effort and code reuse!
JaseP

Feb 16, 2014
11:37 PM EDT
Let's hope systemd gets some additional development... I'm skeptical it will be 100% ready (i.e.: security bugs, etc.) very soon...
slacker_mike

Feb 16, 2014
11:45 PM EDT
I predict in the next 3 years Slackware will switch to systemd as well. Patrick will play it ultra conservative but I believe that the work to not adopt systemd will eventually outweigh the work to adopt systemd. Just my hunch.
jdixon

Feb 17, 2014
6:38 AM EDT
> I predict in the next 3 years Slackware will switch to systemd as well.

That sounds like about the right timeframe, yes. It'll take that long for it to stabilize enough for Patrick.
vainrveenr

Feb 17, 2014
12:37 PM EDT
Quoting:I predict in the next 3 years Slackware will switch to systemd as well. Patrick will play it ultra conservative but I believe that the work to not adopt systemd will eventually outweigh the work to adopt systemd. Just my hunch.

Indeed, according to the Debian 'Debate initsystem systemd' section Why Debian should default to systemd:
Quoting:Fedora, OpenSuSE, Arch and Mageia have already made the choice to use systemd, and it is getting excellent upstream support for a growing number of packages.
Further down in this same general section:
Quoting:* Other distributions who switched to systemd were also confronted to a lot of controversy before the switch. After it became clear that rivers didn’t turn into blood, the complaints have only been sporadic.

Perhaps Slackware's eventual switch to systemd will proceed in a much smoother fashion, following the experiences of Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSuSE, Arch and Mageia.

Quoting:Let's hope systemd gets some additional development... I'm skeptical it will be 100% ready (i.e.: security bugs, etc.) very soon...

This quote from the Debian 'Debate initsystem systemd' section Questions from the CTTE partially addresses the issue of "security bugs, etc.":
Quoting:Ian: “A friend of mine mentioned to me in the pub that he had seem alarming reports of systemd security bugs.”

* Most of these bugs have been found by the Red Hat Product security team conducting an audit of the code as part of its inclusion in their enterprise distribution. Therefore, systemd's security record cannot reasonably be compared with implementations that didn’t undergo similar audits.

* It is unreasonable to expect any software project to be entirely bug-free. The interesting facts are that systemd’s architecture is designed in a secure way, that upstream developers know how to respond to security vulnerabilities, and that the code has actually been audited.

* Less security bugs have been found in sysvinit or upstart, but this number is not necessarily correlated to the number of actual bugs, most of which might still be unknown. The comparison makes even less sense when you take into account systemd’s larger scope. Most security bugs do not apply if you restrict systemd to the features already found in other init systems. More functionality means a larger attack surface, which is a drawback we usually accept when we need the features.

* Using systemd helps mitigating or eliminating other security issues, by bringing new security features to all daemons running on the system. Switching to systemd is a security improvement for the whole system.

A recommended source for reviewing the debate of which Init system to use for Debian -- sysvinit (status quo) versus systemd versus upstart -- is the Debian Wiki's very own 'Debate/initsystem', found at https://wiki.debian.org/Debate/initsystem

Steven_Rosenber

Feb 17, 2014
2:30 PM EDT
What's interesting here is that factors going into the decision included technical merit and the Canonical CLA.

Clearly the CLA worked against Upstart. It sure didn't work for it, as the only party the CLA benefits is Canonical.

So whatever business plan the CLA was designed to support at Canonical now has to deal with a project (systemd) started in some part because of that CLA and adopted by the downstream distro (Debian) for that same reason.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!