I want one with Android

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
Ridcully

Mar 01, 2014
9:11 PM EDT
The perfect senior's phone in my antique opinion......Just got the image sent to me. How could you hack it ? Or even reprogram it ? Good for a giggle anyhow. My wife says she'd love one.

Francy

Mar 01, 2014
9:39 PM EDT
Is this real or fun ?
penguinist

Mar 01, 2014
10:23 PM EDT
I think I detect that this picture has been "Gimped".

But still, this does bring back memories. Now if it also came with a proper ringer ...
Ridcully

Mar 01, 2014
10:35 PM EDT
Sorry Francy, but it's strictly for laughter generation........Someone has done some very nice image manipulation. But it IS the first type of dial phone I ever saw.....The first phone I ever used had a handle that you rotated which called the manual exchange and you told them the person or number you wanted.......Yeah.......I'm THAT old.....sigh.
Francy

Mar 01, 2014
10:44 PM EDT
............I think I detect that this picture has been "Gimped". ...........

That was my first thought too. But I was ho..................... :-)

snik snik snik
cr

Mar 01, 2014
11:42 PM EDT
Does it have an Abbey Road ringtone?
Ridcully

Mar 02, 2014
12:38 AM EDT
I'll beetle along to the maker and find out for you CR. .......(sorry, couldn't resist it !) :-)
gus3

Mar 02, 2014
6:12 PM EDT
An IT admin near here is on an antiquated land-line system that still supports rotary dialing, and he has a rotary phone in his kitchen. When his kid's friends come over, and they ask to use the phone to call their parents when it's time to leave, they are dumbfounded as to how the rotary phone works.
Francy

Mar 02, 2014
7:25 PM EDT
...........they are dumbfounded as to how the rotary phone works.

Yeah, similar things here. I still have my Aristo Studio slide ruler from my school days. When I show the kids and tell them that 'that' was our calculator, they look at you as you come from another planet.

On the occasions I don't tell them what it is, they are almost always to ....."whatever".... to figure out what it possibly could be

..dumbfounded..seems to be a daily thing these days
BernardSwiss

Mar 02, 2014
9:31 PM EDT
Alphabet of the Obsolete:

http://weknowmemes.com/2013/12/alphabet-of-the-obsolete-comi...
Bob_Robertson

Mar 03, 2014
10:46 AM EDT
I work configuring and troubleshooting VoIP.

Some of the equipment I support converts VoIP to standard two-wire analog.

A corporate type called in last week demanding that a store was unable to make outbound calls and we needed to get a tech on site IMMEDIATELY to fix this!

So after first level tech support was unable to calm the savage breast, they asked me to confirm things before the dispatch.

We're talking a couple hundred dollars MINIMUM just to put a body on site, so this is not something done lightly even if the customer says, "just do it!"

I called the store (rather than the corporate contact) and asked the clerk to push the "2" button. "click-click" I hear.

I asked him to push the "3" button. "click-click-click".

They had set their phone to "pulse" dialing, and our equipment only understands DTMF, or "tone".

When I told first level tech support about this, one of them said, "You mean like 'rotary'? Didn't that go out with the 60s?"

Yep.
cr

Mar 03, 2014
1:03 PM EDT
Pulse-dialing can be dangerous. Back in '78, my folks' house burned. My father was unable to place a call to the fire department because the EM noise from the fire was in the lines, glitching the pulses (DTMF probably could have gotten through). He ended up getting on the CB to call out to a local-channel station to place the call for him (and then got out of there just before the kitchen turned into a lateral blast furnace). The house was well back from the road; no call == no FD.
gus3

Mar 03, 2014
2:56 PM EDT
Ah yes, '78, the year Citizens' Band radio saved lives after the blizzard.
cr

Mar 03, 2014
4:59 PM EDT
My base back then was close enough to Rt. 128 to relay a few of those calls, if they could find their way down from 19 to 4... And then be adroit enough in when they shouted for a break -- we were a rather chatty bunch.

You cannot post until you login.