Java JDK as a dependency...

Story: Alice, the Turtle of the Modern AgeTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
JaseP

Mar 08, 2014
3:06 PM EDT
Having Java JDK as a dependency is going to be a non-starter for a lot of people (including me). I'd love my daughter to be able to play with this,... but "it ain't happenin'," with Oracle's Java having to be installed...
Jeff91

Mar 09, 2014
12:33 AM EDT
Hope you boycott android as well if you are this anti-Java.

~Jeff
frankiej

Mar 09, 2014
12:38 AM EDT
The requirements simply specify a JDK is required, it doesn't say Oracle's specific implementation is required. Granted, the installation instructions detail how to download directly from Oracle, but I would assume Alice would run fine with a distro compiled OpenJDK.

Or is the concern that Java itself is required?
JaseP

Mar 09, 2014
12:17 PM EDT
The concern is Oracle's Java... (& Android (Davlik) =/= Java, by the way...)... I've seen it where Oracle's version was required & the given application would not run on substitutes...
tuxchick

Mar 09, 2014
2:26 PM EDT
Oracle's Java is icky and stupid. I'm not a fan of any Java apps because they're ugly and slow.
JaseP

Mar 09, 2014
2:30 PM EDT
Oracle itself is icky and stupid...
frankiej

Mar 09, 2014
4:15 PM EDT
Alice seems to run just fine without Oracle's Java installation. I was curious so I tried it out on Fedora 20 (64-bit) with OpenJDK. Everything seems to be running fine. It does seem to be an intriguing concept and I amused myself by having a penguin move around the screen saying "Slackware Rules!" :)

I tend to agree that Java client apps tend to look ugly. This one is actually better than most I have seen, but I haven't had to deal with very many client apps besides Eclipse.
JaseP

Mar 09, 2014
4:47 PM EDT
Maybe I'll give it a try with OpenJDK on Kubuntu 12.04...
mbaehrlxer

Mar 09, 2014
9:42 PM EDT
the difference between openjdk and sun/oracle's release of java was a problem up until java 6.

since version 7, openjdk is the official reference implementation for java: https://blogs.oracle.com/henrik/entry/moving_to_openjdk_as_t... https://jdk7.java.net/java-se-7-ri/

so just use the java 7 from your distribution and you'll be fine.

greetings, eMBee.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!