congratulations!

Story: Dr Tony Young appointed Senior Asia/Pacific EditorTotal Replies: 21
Author Content
mbaehrlxer

Apr 07, 2014
3:41 AM EDT
let me be the first to congratulate from over here in china!

greetings, eMBee.
theboomboomcars

Apr 07, 2014
11:10 AM EDT
Congratualtions.
jdixon

Apr 07, 2014
11:18 AM EDT
I hope he has some idea of what he's gotten himself into. :)

Good luck, Tony. You're going to need it dealing with myself and the assorted cast of characters here.
penguinist

Apr 07, 2014
11:25 AM EDT
LXer made a good choice. Congratulations on your new position!
tuxchick

Apr 07, 2014
3:29 PM EDT
Congratulations, Tony! You will do a great job!
Ridcully

Apr 07, 2014
5:27 PM EDT
Thanks everybody. I'm finding it "unusual ?" to deal with the warmth and friendship that is coming my way over this announcement - not that I don't appreciate it, but it's very unexpected. I'll do my best and you can occasionally kick my shins as necessary please - that's what friends are for - correction and help without offence intended. And I am very pleased and proud to be part of the best (in my opinion anyway) Linux website on the internet. For content, interest, friendship and discussion, it's tops. Sorry to say this Jdixon, but if you are typical of the "assorted cast of characters" I'm in for a great time.

Thankyou all again.

Tony :-)
tuxchick

Apr 07, 2014
10:47 PM EDT
We'll roast you later. Enjoy the warmth while it lasts.
Ridcully

Apr 08, 2014
4:20 AM EDT
Tuxchick.....I am surprised, mentally damaged, psychologically distoibed, "rooned", my fragile psyche has just been irretrievably shattered.......and those words came from a fellow editor.......oh deary me. I take heart in the fact that as "Tuxchick" your pseudonym indicates you will be very averse to roasting feathered brethren.....So, I shall make like a chicken: "Cheep, cheep, cheep......." :-)

PS......it just struck me, many people will have probably read my little screed on the "Team" heading for LXer and possibly wondered about my involvement in the world of fungi. I can help here because the first of my articles for the Qld Mycological Society have just hit their website and you can scroll down and see three images of the lovely fungal species I am currently researching.

http://qldfungi.org.au/resources-2/fungi-keys/ramaria
tuxchick

Apr 08, 2014
12:56 PM EDT
They look like seaweed!
Ridcully

Apr 08, 2014
2:03 PM EDT
Well, their common name really is "coral fungi".....but only because they resemble the branched structures of coral. They normally grow in association/partnership with the roots of trees and help the tree absorb soil nutrients. What you are looking at is the "fruit" of the fungus. All of which has nothing to do with Linux, unless you are typing it all up on a Linux OS and OpenOffice.......which I am.
gus3

Apr 08, 2014
3:30 PM EDT
Sigh, you young people have it so easy. In my day I had to use "vi."

Good on ya, mate.
skelband

Apr 08, 2014
3:41 PM EDT
Good to have another outspoken commentator on the payroll so-to-speak. Congrats!
Francy

Apr 08, 2014
8:16 PM EDT
>>>Sigh, you young people have it so easy. In my day I had to use "vi."

In my day, I had to use a type writer

:;-)
Ridcully

Apr 08, 2014
9:03 PM EDT
Funny you should say that Francy, my Bachelor of Letters thesis had to be done on an electronic typewriter because it had the formatting I needed.........and I had to pay to get it done........Modern wordprocessors are sheer bliss compared to those old tick, tick, tick.......end of line, return carriage -rattle shoooosh thump.........tick, tick, tick........and I left the blasted carbon paper out......start all over again !!! :-)

And the Pressure you had to use on the keys.......RSI candidates here we came.
Francy

Apr 09, 2014
1:24 AM EDT
comment removed :-)
Ridcully

Apr 09, 2014
6:31 AM EDT
I looked at the above and thought of one more thing.......today, we just photocopy, but in yesteryear we got multiple copies a very different way.........Can anyone here remember the sheer "joy?" of cutting a stencil with an old fashioned typewriter......and the red correction fluid and the duplicator and the black ink that went ALL over everything.........gimme a word processor, a scanner and a modern printer any day..........
patrokov

Apr 09, 2014
7:57 AM EDT
Or the denatured alcohol smell of a barely readable mimeograph?
CFWhitman

Apr 09, 2014
9:14 AM EDT
Purple ink?
mbaehrlxer

Apr 10, 2014
7:51 PM EDT
gus3: for typing i'd choose vi over libreoffice or any other office product any day.

greetings, eMBee.
gus3

Apr 11, 2014
3:34 PM EDT
@mbaehrlxer: The right tool for the job. vi (or NEdit) for code, LibreOffice for letters via post, and MPlayer/RaspBMC for the background noise. ;-)
Koriel

Apr 12, 2014
3:57 PM EDT
Im late to the show as usual, been busy, but my belated congrats to the old Wizard.
Ridcully

Apr 12, 2014
5:08 PM EDT
Thanks Koriel.......the true owner of my pen-name looks after Unseen University of Magic. He's obstinate, difficult, and cultivates a "clean desk" office by using all his paperwork as fuel for his study fire. Oh, and when he finally latches onto a concept, he's as single minded as a direction locked steam roller. He was irresistible as a pseudonym, because I'm never obstinate, difficult, stubborn.......oh nooooo. Hmm. I'll check with my better half. :-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!