No, not moving forward

Story: Randa: Moving KDE ForwardTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
kikinovak

May 27, 2014
5:19 PM EDT
The only way to bring some sanity to the KDE project would be to 1. bring it to a complete halt. 2. Chain all the developers to their desktops until they have ironed out all the unnerving bugs. 3. Shoot them in the knee when they only so much as attempt to "add revolutionary new features". 4. Allow them to publish one minor release every year. 5. Eventually force them to publish LTS releases every once in a while, supported for a minimum of five years.

Science fiction, I know. And that's why I quit using KDE.
mbaehrlxer

May 27, 2014
11:19 PM EDT
are you going to pay for their salaries?

greetings, eMBee.
Ridcully

May 28, 2014
3:21 AM EDT
http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/35408/

Been there done that kikinovak........plus my articles earlier this year........the only way you just might bring some sense to the KDE project would be for most of its users to discover Trinity......Like I intend to do tonight. KDE only lives because it has a user base....that's how FOSS operates, it's Darwinian "survival of the fittest". If that user base dumps KDE, then KDE dies. We can but hope the KDE team wakes up before it's too late......or should we hope they don't wake up ? KDE3.5 was a brilliant DE......Trinity has taken it further but kept the KDE3.5 simplicity, speed, user friendliness and stability.
TxtEdMacs

May 28, 2014
9:37 AM EDT
[serious (really)]

All sides need some sort of gain to be workable arrangement, unfortunately 3K's suggestion does not even meet the criterion suggested by the Bee. Yes Developers go wild, but if they are not in some way compensated for doing the boring, why should they bother?

How about Stable (see 3K) a Testing branch and WildAssCrazy a la Debian where the latter is for those wanting the "best" and the latest the developers have to offer. Would it work? Doubt it, because right now only the Trinity developers might fill the role required in the Stable and they too might bolt.

There has to be some equity of return on all sides where those not financially compensated are allowed to gift others even when many if not most see those products as worse than useless.

[/serious]

YBT
nmset

May 28, 2014
11:19 AM EDT
Just made a small donation, they are doing such a wonderful job !

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!