This is Huge...

Story: Top US patent judge resigns following “ethical breach”Total Replies: 5
Author Content
JaseP

Jun 17, 2014
8:20 AM EDT
This is a huge deal. This judge was one of the most outspoken advocates of software patents, and his decisions have contributed to the mess we're in, as far as the law concerning the various forms of intellectual property. The scandal and his resignation just highlights the inbred cronyism that is patent law in the US. When I was in law school, the issue surrounding software patents was settled. Software, outside some connection to an otherwise patentable device with some form of physicality, was not patentable. Computers were regarded as a complex form of a player-piano, and software, the paper tape rolls... We need to go back to that, if innovation is going to continue.
gus3

Jun 17, 2014
12:38 PM EDT
But good luck getting a total review of this (clearly unethical) judge's decisions.

Some people are just flat-out unworthy of the robe. And sometimes, "contempt of court" is entirely justifiable.
JaseP

Jun 17, 2014
12:55 PM EDT
A lot of the CAFC decisions have been reviewed/overturned in the "normal" course of business... So, I don't think there's any special consideration in getting reviews of other decisions of his. It's (maybe) ironic that the Supreme Ct. is soon going to be releasing its opinion on yet another one of his appellate opinions (writing for the majority)... Maybe that had something to do with the timing here?!?! Hmmm??? I guess we can only speculate.
jdixon

Jun 17, 2014
12:57 PM EDT
> And sometimes, "contempt of court" is entirely justifiable.

F E Smith: Judge: "Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?" Smith: "No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it."
JaseP

Jun 17, 2014
2:19 PM EDT
So,... That's where Mae West stole her similar line...
jdixon

Jun 17, 2014
2:31 PM EDT
> That's where Mae West stole her similar line...

I'd say so, yes.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!