omg omg omg

Story: Linux Creator Linus Torvalds is Your Guide in This Rare Look Inside His Home Office Total Replies: 16
Author Content
tuxchick

Jul 18, 2014
9:21 PM EDT
Oh look, it's Linus' old socks! OMG and there's some moldy cheese! And...can it be...is that a wall?? A real WALL! I must have his babies. Linus is God.
Ridcully

Jul 18, 2014
10:06 PM EDT
I never picked you as cynical tuxchick ? Oh deary me.......another of my foundation stones lost in my dotage. :-)
tuxchick

Jul 18, 2014
11:34 PM EDT
Yeah, dotage can be rough :)
Ridcully

Jul 19, 2014
7:42 AM EDT
Yeah....I prefer to sit when I want to think seriously at a computer.......walking would destroy the train of thought. But, each to his own.
Scott_Ruecker

Jul 20, 2014
2:07 AM EDT
Walking and being on the computer at the same time would take many more wrinkles on the brain than I have..;-)
JaseP

Jul 20, 2014
4:07 AM EDT
I think Linus is new to the "walking desk,"... Otherwise there just may be a little less noticeable paunch going on... Methinks it was gift/prescription from Mrs. Torvalds... In all seriousness though, some of us think BETTER when pacing,... ADHD will do that to you (not that he definitely has ADHD or anything).
Ridcully

Jul 20, 2014
4:38 AM EDT
Sigh....Scott, galloping senility is my problem, a treadmill might accelerate it......a sort of synergistic effect. LOL :-)
lcafiero

Jul 20, 2014
5:32 PM EDT
Walking desk aside, which I'd never have (pffffft -- it's hard enough for me to sit down and type at the same time, let alone walk and type), it's comforting to know that Linus' desk, like mine, is a complete disaster awaiting a sweep of a flamethrower to make it right. Comforting.
Bob_Robertson

Jul 21, 2014
11:39 AM EDT
A clean desk is a sign of someone with spare time in which to clean.
gus3

Jul 21, 2014
11:47 AM EDT
If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, what is a vacant desk a sign of?
Scott_Ruecker

Jul 22, 2014
12:08 AM EDT
On my desk I have a Linux Mint desktop and Window$ 7 laptop..does that make me a double agent, or two faced or a sufferer of schizophrenia?

Now that I read this I am not really wanting of respones from the gallery..;-)
JaseP

Jul 22, 2014
4:11 AM EDT
Quoting: On my desk I have a Linux Mint desktop and Window$ 7 laptop..does that make me a double agent, or two faced or a sufferer of schizophrenia?

Nope. It makes you a glutton for punishment, ... for keeping MS around... (unless you keep the Win7 laptop around because you're forced to for some reason).
TxtEdMacs

Jul 22, 2014
6:11 AM EDT
You are all deluded, WindowS 7 is perfectly good. For me absolutely no problem. Not one issue, no complaints I would even say it borders on great. I would use harsher words, but I get censored on LXer. So just guess my words attacking you, Ok?

When the menu comes up with Linux Mint at the top and Windows 7 below I always pick the one at the top.

No problem ever. So simple.

YBT

P.S. Hey M.S. still sending checks for Astro Nautical paving?
CFWhitman

Jul 22, 2014
8:32 AM EDT
I have a Windows 8.1 drive on my desktop computer at home. Of course I boot into it very rarely, but it is there. I just figured for sixty dollars, why not have it around for those rare occasions when I needed to use a Windows program that wouldn't run in Wine.

I seriously considered at one point getting another Windows 8 license to use as a virtual machine, which I could then move around when I needed to, but the sale ended and I never got one. It certainly isn't worth two hundred dollars to me. I have a Windows XP virtual machine available (I'm not sure if it's actually installed anywhere right now, but it could be if needed).
JaseP

Jul 22, 2014
2:16 PM EDT
Quoting: For me absolutely no problem.

For YOU, absolutely no problem,... Your situation is unique. I had to install Win7 in order to use Visual Studio for an x86 assembly class,... several failed attempts at installing the OS,... Once installed, it blue-screened (yes, it DOES happen in Win7). The Win7 copy is a debugged/checked copy (used for software development). It throws errors constantly. I had to make several attempts to install Visual Studio (finally, VS 2013 installed, after 2010 & 2012 failed). Firefox failed to install at all. All Windows updates fail to install. Virus scanning software either fails to install or fails to update. Those updates that I WAS able to run took more than 24 hours.

All in all,... I lost in excess of 72 hrs. trying to get Windows installed on a machine in any capacity (virtual machine and on a clean machine, bare metal)... As it stands, the machine is good for only one thing at a time,... Either I use Visual Studio,... Or, I use (Chrome) to access the Web with it (I also need the machine to take online exams). Reboots are needed in between, otherwise one or the other locks up.

Not since 1999 has any copy of Linux been that much of a problem to install. A typical Linux install for me takes 45 minutes from start to finish (including tweaks of the UI for personal preferences). That gives me a 100% functional system with all major software packages installed (including Chrome, direct from Google). Even with generous rounding,... that's less than 1.4% of the time it took to get to a barely functional Windows system...

I am deluded,... indeed. (oops, forgot to use sarcasm tags)
Scott_Ruecker

Jul 22, 2014
4:28 PM EDT
A glutton for punishment I already knew JaseP but for other reasons I will not share here lol but I keep it around because I do tech support for a living and need to be able to navigate a windows machine without the top of my head coming off.

And I agree Txt, "for a windows OS" I have no complaints in regards to it doing what it is supposed too..most of the time. ;-)
TxtEdMacs

Jul 22, 2014
4:46 PM EDT
My Dearest Mr./Solicitor/Barrister/slinking, immoral trickster:

I hereby condemn you forever more to walk with a pronounced limp, due to one of your lower limbs markedly lengthened by a contaminated text you mistakenly consumed whole.

There is no antidote.

I may shed a tear or two for your horrible state I have consigned you to. But then again I may not.

As always,

YBT

P.S. i just might be able to reverse for your kind consideration of a draft that proves it is not compose of latex like properties. P.M. for my account number, electronic transfers will do just fine.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!