We'll always have a desktop computer

Story: Can we please stop talking about the Linux desktop?Total Replies: 6
Author Content
linuxscreenshot

Aug 25, 2014
2:50 PM EDT
Many people, i.e. developers and office workers, will continue to use desktop computers, I believe.

Russia and China have openly discussed replacing proprietary Western desktop OSes with Linux and alternatives.
Bob_Robertson

Aug 25, 2014
2:53 PM EDT
The graphical representation of data is too efficient to be dropped.
nmset

Aug 25, 2014
3:19 PM EDT
Writers often rely on postulates to start their writings, like "the desktop is dead", because PC sales fell by a few percent in a limited period of time.
seatex

Aug 25, 2014
3:52 PM EDT
The drop in sales of desktop computers has also been due to the fact that the hardware has not been having to catch up with the software demands as frequently for the past 8 years or so, as was the case prior to that.

Also, there is a larger-than-ever supply of pre-leased and refurbished (used) corporate desktops with C2D or newer dual and quad-core CPUs available for $100-$150, and they are plenty powerful enough for Linux and even Windows 7/8.

I still use an 8 year old Intel C2D T7200 laptop as my primary machine. It came with 2GB memory and a 160GB drive and sold for $1,300 in 2006. I since upgraded the memory to 4GB, but it only sees 3GB due to chipset/BIOS limitation. I also upgraded the HD to a 7,200 RPM 320GB a few years ago. This 2GHz dual-core laptop is still plenty capable running Xubuntu 64-bit.

Eventually the sales will stabilize. But the simple fact is that the hardware will last 10 years or more now, as long as the software demands don't increase beyond its capabilities - and that is taking longer to occur now.
JaseP

Aug 25, 2014
4:38 PM EDT
Bottom line is that after you pass the 2mos./20% failure rate for (new) hardware, most (surviving) hardware will continue to last another 7-14 years, depending on load and exposure to hazards (electrical spikes, etc.). Most of the failures thereafter are related to hard drives, cooling fans and power supplies. As long as the demand on the hardware doesn't change, what it's asked to do, old hardware will continue to function indefinitely until an irreplaceable component dies. And since Linux generally places a low demand on hardware (comparatively), old Linux machines tend to keep chugging along...
the_doctor

Aug 25, 2014
11:17 PM EDT
Since the Linux desktop just past the 5.5 mark for the first time, it might be worth talking about.
mbaehrlxer

Aug 26, 2014
3:06 AM EDT
very true. my workstation is 4 or 5 years old (i received it second-hand a few years ago) and i have yet to feel it being to slow. the only major upgrade i did was to add a graphics card because i needed better 3D for a specific application for work, which i am no longer using. and larger harddisks. still have room to upgrade memory but feel no need.

greetings, eMBee.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!