left wanting...

Story: Ten Linux Desktops Showing Just How Far Behind Mac OS X and Windows Designs AreTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
mbaehrlxer

Sep 02, 2014
11:57 AM EDT
i expected at least an enumeration of the specific features that make the linux desktop advanced. instead we get a set of screenshots. just from looking at them i can only tell that linux desktops are a mess of lots of different things, but not what's advanced about them.

greetings, eMBee.
the_doctor

Sep 02, 2014
7:18 PM EDT
Agreed, mbaehrlxer.

The article contains no information relating to good desktop interface design. It's just a series of screenshots and an unsupported attack on Microsoft and Apple.

Silviu Stahie calls this "...pushing the boundaries..." To me, most of it just looks like a hot mess.

Real criticism looks more like Brian Boyko's original analysis of Windows 8, which lays out fundamental rules for good design and then applies those rules to the specific product.

Stahie wants to make an argument without actually making an argument.
CFWhitman

Sep 03, 2014
9:01 AM EDT
I agree that this article has no substance. Whether any of these screenshots look appealing, or more appealing than Windows/OS X, is entirely subjective and not really a big part of what makes one desktop "better" than another. One feature of Linux desktops that I find sorely lacking on Windows is proper support for multiple workspaces. I always miss that when I have to use Windows for some reason.
the_doctor

Sep 03, 2014
9:24 AM EDT
CFWhitman wrote:
Quoting:One feature of Linux desktops that I find sorely lacking on Windows is proper support for multiple workspaces.

Well, you're in luck...

Microsoft's Windows 'Threshold' expected to add virtual desktops, drop charms

Quoting:Virtual desktops will allow users to run their apps in different spaces which they will be able to view one at a time. I'm not clear whether the virtual desktops functionality will be clearly and readily available to all Threshold users or if Microsoft will make it more of a hidden feature discoverable by power users.

MS is adding what they call "virtual desktops" to Windows 9 in an attempt to play catch-up with the rest of desktop industry.

I'm not sure why they are calling them "virtual" -- seems pretty real to me.
DrGeoffrey

Sep 03, 2014
6:03 PM EDT
Quoting:I'm not sure why they are calling them "virtual" -- seems pretty real to me.

That's MicroSpeak at work. "Virtual" simply means MS's multiple desktops will virtually work (much like everything else produced by MS).
mrider

Sep 04, 2014
9:51 AM EDT
Microsoft is the Nutrimatic drinks dispenser of the computer world. No doubt their virtual desktops will be almost, but not quite, entirely unlike virtual desktops. As evidenced by the awesome job they did with symbolic links.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!