And what is wrong with boring?

Story: Ubuntu 14.10 Fans, Prepare for "It's a Boring Release" CommentsTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
the_doctor

Sep 29, 2014
6:58 PM EDT
I happen to like boring.

It's functional. It's good design. As we like to say, it just works.

So what? Be boring and live happy!
gus3

Sep 29, 2014
7:05 PM EDT
In UI design, the opposite of "boring" isn't "exciting," but rather "distracting."
mbaehrlxer

Sep 29, 2014
9:54 PM EDT
the only thing that would be totally exciting would be if application menus would not be hidden anymore. heck, i'd settle for, becoming visible if the mouse is over the application, or something like that.

yesterday i opened a new application that i was not familiar with and wondered "how do i load my data?". it took me 5 minutes before i realized that i should check if there is maybe a menu by moving the mouse to the top...

greetings, eMBee.
kikinovak

Sep 30, 2014
7:59 AM EDT
@the_doctor: welcome to the boring club.

http://www.microlinux.fr/mled.php
the_doctor

Sep 30, 2014
8:58 AM EDT
Oh, I was one of the original members of the boring club. I started back in the dark days of cp/m - more than 35 years ago.

You know, back in the days when we had to write the program around the text just to create and print a plain text document. No fancy monochrome monitors... Just a keyboard attached to a printer.

Yeah, like that but simpler.

Fun times!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!