RHEL isn't like other distros

Story: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.6 arrivesTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
BFM

Oct 15, 2014
12:06 AM EDT
All RHEL distributions are long term support releases. My shop is running 6.3 (Scientific Linux version) on our servers and my users have no interest in changing anytime soon. The media can hype new releases all they want. Shops running RHEL and clones don't much care. We will change when we need to. In my shop it will be quite a while.
kikinovak

Oct 15, 2014
3:50 AM EDT
@BFM: you do know that when you use any 6.3 RHEL clone, a simple yum update will get you the latest 6.6? There's no point in ignoring security updates.
JaseP

Oct 15, 2014
11:32 AM EDT
My understanding is that the security updates are generally back-ported until the entire version goes out of support.
BFM

Oct 15, 2014
5:38 PM EDT
JaseP is correct. We do weekly updates to a test system. As soon as they pass tests against our internal applications we put them in production. Just doing a yum update will not take a system to a new release level. It will update system security.
kikinovak

Oct 16, 2014
2:00 AM EDT
@BFM: Here's a link to a 530-page Linux administration basics bible, based on CentOS and written by yours truly.

http://tinyurl.com/no254g

Read the chapter about software management, and you'll discover that running yum update on any RHEL 6.3 clone and rebooting afterwards will leave you with a 6.6 system (well, 6.5, since upstream just released 6.6).
linux4567

Oct 17, 2014
10:49 AM EDT
@kikinovak: not with SL, SL actually allows you to stay with older point releases and backports security updates for those too.
kikinovak

Oct 17, 2014
12:48 PM EDT
@linux4567: I stand corrected. Though I had given SL a spin, I've mostly been using CentOS, Oracle Linux, Springdale/PUIAS and RHEL.
notbob

Oct 17, 2014
1:38 PM EDT
> Though I had given SL a spin, I've mostly been using CentOS

????

I'm hoping "SL" is not Slackware Linux. If it is, what led you astray, kiki? BTW, yer book looks interesting. Is it available in English?
kikinovak

Oct 17, 2014
2:17 PM EDT
@notbob: by "SL" in my previous post, I meant Scientific Linux of course. And nothing led me astray. I'm a die-hard Slackware user at heart, though I do have to keep up with RHEL spinoffs, Debian and Ubuntu LTS for training and system administration.
kikinovak

Oct 17, 2014
2:18 PM EDT
PS to @notbob: my book is not available in english, though I'm currently rewriting it, based 100 % on Slackware.
notbob

Oct 17, 2014
2:23 PM EDT
> based 100 % on Slackware

Now, that's what I wanted to hear! Let me know when it's published and I'll purchase a copy. ;)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!