meh...

Story: Why do some Mac owners run Linux instead of OS X?Total Replies: 16
Author Content

Feb 03, 2015
8:36 PM EDT
Some people are simply crazy.

Best i can tell, the only thing Apple does is put business grade hardware and put it into a pretty case. But because they are offered on the high street in fancy boutiques, people lap it up as magical premium consumer grade.

A T series Thinkpad would serve just as well in term of reliable hardware.
BernardSwiss

Feb 03, 2015
11:02 PM EDT
But if everybody was using square, black Thinkpads, and nobody was using curvy white Macs, how would people be supposed to tell the Good Guys and the Bad Guys apart?
jdixon

Feb 03, 2015
11:49 PM EDT
I'm not sure, BernardSwiss, which ones are supposed to be the good guys and which ones are supposed to be the bad guys?

Sort of like in this shot:

http://images.tvrage.com/episode_galleries/4/3803/8195.jpg

it's not always easy to tell.
BernardSwiss

Feb 04, 2015
12:42 AM EDT
Roger Ebert: Good Guys Always Use Macs http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/Roger_Ebert_Good_Guys...

PCs Are Incorrect on TV http://archive.wired.com/gadgets/mac/commentary/cultofmac/20...

(from my own, admittedly dilatory, haphazard, and not very assiduous, personal research, Linux is the OS characteristic among computer geeks, and in the not-so-near future).
jdixon

Feb 04, 2015
12:49 AM EDT
> PCs Are Incorrect on TV

So PC's are non-PC? :) Could you pick out the good guy in the picture, BTW?
BernardSwiss

Feb 04, 2015
3:55 AM EDT
Not really, but -- we do use the expression "black hats" for a reason...

:P
jdixon

Feb 04, 2015
4:06 AM EDT
> ...but -- we do use the expression "black hats" for a reason...

Exactly. But in this case the "black hat" (Richard Boone) is the good guy, and Jack Lord (of Hawaii Five-O fame) plays the villain. It's from the very first episode of "Have Gun Will Travel".
BernardSwiss

Feb 04, 2015
4:27 AM EDT
Ah ha! A case of deliberately playing with the convention, then. Paladin adopted that garb for a reason.
jdixon

Feb 04, 2015
10:40 AM EDT
> Ah ha! A case of deliberately playing with the convention, then.

Yes.
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 04, 2015
2:48 PM EDT
If only Mac hardware was as good as people seem to think it is. I find build quality to be average. Technology-wise it's usually behind. Apple tries to thwart user upgrades outside of the Mac ecosystem (recent trouble with TRIM support for SSDs). And it's bloody expensive.

Apple's design is different, and the other hardware makers should not slavishly copy it but instead innovate on their own. I think that's happening, especially at the high end and a bit at the low end (Chromebooks and new, cheap HP laptops and mini-desktops).
skelband

Feb 04, 2015
5:16 PM EDT
Mac hardware (particularly the MacPros) used to have very good build quality so at least you thought that you were getting quality kit. Recently though, as I said on the other related discussion, over the last 5 years particularly, it has become pretty cr@p. We had a load with motherboard display issues and other general failures. We have a few "macheads" here who do like the look and feel of OSX but I've never really liked it.
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 04, 2015
11:14 PM EDT
I've opened up more than a few of those "Star Trek"-style Mac G5 towers, and while the case is really nice, I was not at all impressed with what I found inside, which is pretty much a standard, mid-grade motherboard. And I did have a few go bad, so that's not a ringing endorsement, either.

When the hard drive in my 2003-era iMac G4 notebook died, it was three hours of pouring sweat before I could get the old drive out and the new one in.

Also, it ain't easy to replace the battery in most iPhone, iPad and iPod devices. Yet the batteries are the same kinds that come in other devices where you can freely change them by opening up the back without "spudgers," guitar picks or the like.

It's a lot of design elements, but you can often get better hardware elsewhere for less.
CFWhitman

Feb 05, 2015
9:39 AM EDT
I have a Thinkpad from around 2002 or 2003. I just put a new distribution on it. I'm thinking of upgrading the RAM (it currently has 256MB, but can go to 1GB) just because I can. It still works fine. Of course it has USB 1.1 ports and no built-in wireless (which could easily be an 802.11 B card if it existed).
seatex

Feb 05, 2015
10:19 AM EDT
I have a Gateway Core 2 Duo laptop, purchased at Best Buy in 2006 - still going strong. Immediately tossed XP and threw away the free Vista upgrade - and put Linux on it. Upgraded the memory from 2GB to 4GB and upgraded the HD from 160GB to 320GB. I've had to replace the cooling fan and DVD drive (items normally expected to fail within 9 years). And I've used this laptop almost everyday in that 9 year timespan, and it is running Linux Mint 17.1 with Cinnamon just fine and dandy today.
mbaehrlxer

Feb 05, 2015
11:14 AM EDT
the funny thing is, as i am contemplating to buy a new laptop, a mac air is on my list of considerations. why? because i need something small and lightweight with decent specs. price is a secondary consideration. a mac would let me avoid the windows tax. though really i'd rather get something else entirely, but with a weight limit of 1kg there are not many options.

if i do get a mac you can rest assured that it's not going to keep OS X unless i can work out how to dual boot it.

greetings, eMBee.
jdixon

Feb 05, 2015
1:39 PM EDT
> ...but with a weight limit of 1kg there are not many options.

Yes, that does knock out most of the market. The lightest weight laptop by ZaReason clocks in at 3.6 lbs (about 1.6 Kg, if my brain is working this morning). The lightest weight Lenovo I can find on their site is 2.83 lbs, which is closer, but still close to 1.3 Kg. I think my Mini 9 is just over 1 Kg, at a 2.4 lb or so, but it hasn't been available for years now, and their XPS-12 is 2.8 lbs.

The Asus Chromebook C200 is only 1.14 Kg, That might be suitable.

And this site: http://www.ultrabookreview.com/4219-the-lightest-ultrabooks/

Says that the NEC LaVie Z and Sony Vaio Pro 11 are less than 1 Kg. I didn't look at them though. Running short on time at the moment.
mbaehrlxer

Feb 08, 2015
11:17 AM EDT
oh, nice article, thank you. i'll be checking that...

greetings, eMBee.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!