Self defeating

Story: Should publishers try to block ad blockers?Total Replies: 5
Author Content
jdixon

Feb 20, 2015
6:19 AM EDT
The article does a fairly good job of pointing out why they shouldn't, but there are a couple of other reasons why people might choose to run adblockers.

1) Security: Ad servers have become a common way of spreading malware. 2) Philosophical: It may be their website, but it's my computer. 3) Technological. There's probably a way to circumvent their block. 4) Pragmatic: If the content is any good, it'll be available elsewhere.

Any one of these are good reasons not to give in to their blackmail and to either try to circumvent their block or seek the content elsewhere. Taken together, they probably cover most users of adblockers. And all of them mean no revenue for their site. They're choosing to fight a war they can't win.
gus3

Feb 20, 2015
1:17 PM EDT
But that makes too much sense for some management types, dontchaknow.
gary_newell

Feb 21, 2015
5:10 PM EDT
personally I don't block adverts and never will. If somebody is providing me with content on the basis that I will see their adverts then so be it. Having said that of course, I record programs on my DVR and skip straight through the adverts on my television.

People who block adverts are not likely to be influenced by them even if you manage to force them to view them. Their mind is already made up.

It is like people who still download music illegally. They will never pay for the product. It doesn't matter what price you sell it at. People still use bittorrents for downloading music even though Spotify and other services provide a way of listening for free.

JaseP

Feb 22, 2015
4:22 PM EDT
Quoting: ... If somebody is providing me with content on the basis that I will see their adverts then so be it. ...

I used to take that attitude until my browser started locking up my entire system because of the ridiculous amount of JavaScript powered ads. There were literally hundreds of ads pouring in as counted by AdBlocker... And one of the worst offenders was CNN,... Forget anything that involves the media (movies, TV, music, etc.)... The number of ads related to that stuff will choke an i3 w/ 4GB RAM. Just a handful of tabs open, and browse to a picture gallery on CNN,... BOOM!!! Your system is locked up (without an ad blocker).

Using an ad blocker was the only way I was able to get a usable browsing experience again... The way I look at it, they don't get revenue,... They brought it on themselves...
notbob

Feb 25, 2015
2:07 PM EDT
I use NoScript. I've seen as many as 40 client-side scripts on a single webpage.

If I want my computer used to power advert scripts, I'll let 'em in. Otherwise, screw 'em.
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 26, 2015
4:11 PM EDT
I work for a publisher who does load up with ads, so I can't say I blame anybody. I'd love to push fewer, more expensive ads, but that's not the reality these days. It's unfortunate.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!