This is Scratch

Story: Blockly makes it easier to learn to codeTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
ljmp

Feb 26, 2015
3:19 PM EDT
Google's version of Scratch. Where's the attribution?
mbaehrlxer

Feb 28, 2015
3:04 AM EDT
in the FAQ https://developers.google.com/blockly/about/faq#how_does_blo...

and here: https://developers.google.com/blockly/about/alternatives

given that blocky targets a different audience than scratch i don't see that making a big deal out of its scratch relationship would be helpful.

greetings, eMBee.
ljmp

Mar 06, 2015
3:57 PM EDT
I imagine if Scratch was an Apple product, Google would be paying $$$$ for infringement of 'something' --- that's why it's a big deal.

However, I don't think either product does a great job teaching programming skills. My vote on teaching good programming skills along with "how computers work" would be:

First language: Assembly [nasm]

Second language: C [gcc]

Third language: tcl and then tk

Last language: sql, with postgresql PL/pgsql
mbaehrlxer

Mar 08, 2015
11:25 PM EDT
i think you have a point. in highschool we learned about and/or gates and built them from scratch with wires and transistors. whenever i wonder how computers work i always thing back to that time.

i'd do assembly on something smaller though, like an arduino. that's enough to understand, and probably more fun. you can then move to arduino c, which is more simple too before moving on to real c with memory management.

after that i'd go to python or smalltalk however.

from the top down the above in reverse order.

however i don't see those steps as a way to teach programming skills, rather to understand how the computer works. for the actual programming skills i'd start with python or smalltalk and possibly add c at some point. (works nicely with python, writing a c extension)

that said, i see the whole point of things like scratch as a way to pick up people where they are. i wish i had used etoys while i still lived with my grandma. she wanted to learn programming (she had been using linux for several years already at that point) and etoys would have been perfect for her.

greetings, eMBee.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!