Define qualified.

Story: Companies really want Linux-savvy employees and they want them nowTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
notbob

Mar 05, 2015
1:44 PM EDT
I've been using Slackware for over thirteen yrs. Is that qualification enough? Or do I gotta be systemd savvy? If so, I'm screwed. ;)
jdixon

Mar 05, 2015
2:53 PM EDT
> I've been using Slackware for over thirteen yrs. Is that qualification enough?

Likewise (well, actually 21 now). But from the ads I've seen, no one wants you unless you have experience in their specific requirements. There's a Google+ thread where SJVN posted a link to the article. Donovan Colbert discusses the matter in detail in the comments.
JaseP

Mar 05, 2015
5:04 PM EDT
They (think they) know exactly what they need and want exactly that,... Unfortunately, for them, exactly what they need/want is the person they are replacing, who defined the system they use. They also usually want skill sets (programming, on top of systems stuff) and experience (5 yrs, 10 yrs, plus...) they aren't willing to pay for.
notbob

Mar 05, 2015
5:14 PM EDT
i don't do Gobble, plus or any other service. Not even on my Android phone.
ljmp

Mar 06, 2015
2:40 PM EDT
@notbob:

All you gotta do is know these words and use them each in every sentence in the interview:

1. Social Media

2. Glocal

3. Opensource [all one word - and not FOSS]

4. Community edition

5. UX [nevermind that UI-thingie, that's so last Tuesday]

6. Learning Platform

7. Network Security

8. Cloud

Nobody really cares about FOSS or Linux. It's all about the hype and the money, no real knowledge is necessary.
jdixon

Mar 06, 2015
3:21 PM EDT
When I get home, I'll have to pull up some openings on Dice and post some examples. :)
mbaehrlxer

Mar 08, 2015
11:42 PM EDT
use this font to show them: http://www.sansbullshitsans.com/

greetings, eMBee.
gus3

Mar 09, 2015
5:14 PM EDT
Note: above link definitely NSFW if your boss has no sense of humor (like the one I had sixteen years ago).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!