Sic'em, Sam!

Story: Linux Foundation begins clampdown on Torvalds Total Replies: 10
Author Content
notbob

Mar 14, 2015
11:19 AM EDT
Good to see Sam get all riled over something. Didn't think he had it in 'im.

Yes, Linus is being muzzled and no doubt by power hungry ne'r do wells. It's inevitable that Linux would become so big, it's beyond one man. Now the corporations are out to make Linux their own and will stop at nothing --or no one-- to achieve their goals of making Linux as proprietary as possible. First step, discredit its creator.....

Mar 14, 2015
12:29 PM EDT
One do wonder how it will get used...
JaseP

Mar 14, 2015
4:09 PM EDT
I am guessing that this is coming from (financial backers of) Poettering, et al. ... Part of me is sad that the "Wild West" attitude in kernel development will be gone,... The other part of me is understanding that the environment alienated a lot of people who had,... for lack of better terms,... "weak" constitutions or egos (i.e.: they couldn't take the heat). There are a lot of talented people for whom the somewhat caustic environment of development was a problem... left them ducking their heads and running for the hills... which is a shame, and limits contribution.

For me it's kind of like my love for Top Gear (UK version, not the watered-down/pale imitation international versions), and my glee for the totally politically incorrect actions and comments of Jeremy Clarkson. I love it when Clarkson goes off the rails,... but understand that it (he) really rankles a lot of people.

As Linus says, "let's see how this works." I'm guessing that Linus will need a PR agent to pre-read all of his rants. I just hope that at some point we get to hear the un-redacted versions,... It'd be a hoot.
nmset

Mar 14, 2015
4:50 PM EDT
Let's then prepare ourselves for a near death of the Linux kernel as we know it, wide mouth dumbies can now jump onboard ! Your leadership was perfectly constructive to say the least, Linus; unfortunately, Sun Tzu already said long ago : "my enemies are nearer to me than my friends"...
JaseP

Mar 14, 2015
4:59 PM EDT
I think the new "patch" to the contribution process is simply a civility requirement and an appeal to a "mediation process," (for those who feel they have been unfairly singled out)... I don't think it means that lousy kernel patches need to be accepted. So,... Linus can still reject that code patch that is an abomination/affront to all coders, everywhere, but he just has to include "nice-nice" language and smiley face emoticons to his (what would have been otherwise caustic) rejection email...
gus3

Mar 14, 2015
6:09 PM EDT
"for those who feel unfairly singled out"

You know, if you don't want to feel the wrath of Linus, don't introduce regressions into the kernel. Write stable code that doesn't cause panics. Etc etc etc... He's not here to babysit you and clean up your messes.
kikinovak

Mar 15, 2015
3:06 PM EDT
A "code of conduct patch"? Seriously? The only sane reaction to this kind of puritan nonsense is to tell its inventor to bugger off. Using these exact same words.
kikinovak

Mar 15, 2015
3:09 PM EDT
The new Linus Torvalds in conformity with the Code Of Conduct: "May I humbly suggest you engage in a variety of recreational activities unheard of in the animal kingdom while casting some doubt about the marital status of your parents at your birthday?"

:o)
BernardSwiss

Mar 15, 2015
6:33 PM EDT
This "code-of-conduct patch" appears to be about much more than just Linus; it has a project-wide scope.

And perhaps Linus's response itself, demonstrates that all the fuss over his alleged proclivity to unjustified and excessively harsh criticism of certain contributions, is a storm in a teacup -- far more a matter of perception and portrayal than of reality.
JaseP

Mar 15, 2015
7:59 PM EDT
Tempest in a teacup is an apt description... But it seems that that (so-called) progress is often marked by increased civility and political correctness... "C'est la vie." I doubt it will effect the code. Most likely, Linus will just find more polite ways to tell people to bugger off.
lcafiero

Mar 19, 2015
5:16 PM EDT
Of the plethora of the articles on this particular topic, this is probably the weakest. But consider the source.

That said, JaseP is right. This is a tempest in a teacup. And as great and historic a man he may be, Linus Torvalds can be a world-class douchenozzle sometimes.

Yeah, I said it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!