possible no royalties is the factor?

Story: Cyanogen said to be hoovering up cash, but NOT from MicrosoftTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
buntfu

Mar 15, 2015
1:47 PM EDT
I'm asking this as a question for anyone who may have information and or know better than I that maybe the reason MS isn't taking part in funding of the project is because Cyanogen, since it based on Android Open Source Project, perhaps doesn't use the same proprietary code responsible for android royalties to be paid to MS?
JaseP

Mar 15, 2015
7:52 PM EDT
The MS software patents have nothing to do with proprietary or open source code in Android. What they have to do with is a claimed method of doing something in the (illegal, if the law was applied correctly) patent that they claim a particular device or another infringes on. MS's attempts and Android extortion are in order to offset the fact that they have been a bust in the the mobile market since Windows CE.

Open source doesn't act as a bar to any of their (fallacious) claims. The only reasons that they don't go after open source companies directly is that they run the risk of having their software patents invalidated, which would hurt the bottom line in their shakedown attempts. If MS went after an open source company directly (i.e.: Red Hat, IBM, or say,... Intel's open source efforts) they would circle the wagons, probably implicating others in the Open Invention Network (http://www.openinventionnetwork.com/) to bring their patents to bear, and it would be an all out patent Armageddon.

What MS wants is to "quietly" use their patents to shake down competing software efforts that OEMs may be using, in order to hedge the hemorrhaging they experience by failing to capture a given market (or to lose one). If they were to open up Pandora's box, by initiating an all out patent war, they would run the risk of A) having their particular patents being invalidated, and/or B) forcing either the courts or the legislature have to draw a fine line and put the nail in the coffin of software patents altogether. So,... They continue skirt around the issue, employ mafia shake down tactics, and go after relatively easy prey (companies that can't afford to fight them, or companies that can't afford not to do business with them).
maxxedout

Mar 16, 2015
9:39 AM EDT
Who can say that MS is not investing through a 3rd party?
ljmp

Mar 16, 2015
10:39 AM EDT
@JaseP:

My understanding is that the Microsoft Android licenses are based on exFAT and FAT32 patents... or at least that seems to be the best guess by the 'experts', whomever 'they' may be.
buntfu

Mar 16, 2015
11:01 AM EDT
Thanks JaseP, excellent clarification. Much appreciated.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!