Device Makers

Story: The Android upgrade conundrum: Who's at faultTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
maxxedout

Mar 17, 2015
8:30 AM EDT
OEMs don't want to upgrade your OS, they want you to buy a new device. Perfect built-in obsolescence.
jdixon

Mar 17, 2015
8:46 AM EDT
> OEMs don't want to upgrade your OS, they want you to buy a new device

So eventually you just install Cyanogenmod and be done with it. :)
mbaehrlxer

Mar 19, 2015
6:21 AM EDT
if the device supports it. recently i searched for a device for my wife that was affordable and available here in china and supported cyanogenmod. the intersection was just one single option. we got it, and found that installing cyanogenmod install was not trivial. not to mention that i was a device i would not have bought because it is to large for my taste.

greetings, eMBee.
jdixon

Mar 19, 2015
7:04 AM EDT
> ...if the device supports it.

Aye, that's the rub. Fortunately, it sounds like moving my existing phone to Cyanogenmod should be comparatively painless. I'll probably try it the next time I upgrade phones and this one becomes a spare.
notbob

Mar 19, 2015
2:10 PM EDT
> just install Cyanogenmod and be done with it

Does Cyanogenmod work on a back-lit Nook? There's a worthless mobile device, if I ever saw one, and which I will probably toss unless I can find an OS that will save it.
penguinist

Mar 19, 2015
2:38 PM EDT
notbob: I have Cyanogenmod installed on my Nook. It works fine.
notbob

Mar 20, 2015
8:29 AM EDT
Thnx, penguinist. Now, where did I put that thing? ;)
CFWhitman

Mar 20, 2015
11:23 AM EDT
There are many different Nooks. I think we have to be more specific. There is Cyanogenmod for the Nook Color, the Nook Tablet, the Nook HD, and the Nook HD+. I don't know of any alternative operating systems for the plain e-readers.

Edit: Perhaps I should add that when someone says "backlit Nook" my mind expects them to mean the Nook Simple Touch Glowlight reader. I have learned that you can root the various Simple Touch devices and install some generic Android apps in them. I still don't know of a Cyanogenmod build for them, though.
microMXL

Mar 20, 2015
12:27 PM EDT
that is the reason why I prefer nexus devices, no waiting on OEM/carrier.

But hey still no 5.1 for my nexus4 LOL
penguinist

Mar 20, 2015
2:15 PM EDT
Good point, just to be clear I have Cyanogenmod installed on my "Nook Color".
jdixon

Mar 20, 2015
3:12 PM EDT
> Perhaps I should add that when someone says "backlit Nook" my mind expects them to mean the Nook Simple Touch Glowlight reader.

There are at least two different models of the Glowlight. You have to search for details on the specific model you have.
BernardSwiss

Mar 20, 2015
6:01 PM EDT
See. Stuff like this is why I read always the comments.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!