Web development

Story: Why do web developers choose OS X instead of Linux?Total Replies: 8
Author Content
linuxscreenshot

Mar 30, 2015
6:43 PM EDT
"For hardware, things like Dell's high end Linux laptops definitely give MBP a run for their money, but even that shouldn't matter, Linux runs fine on Apple hardware."

Linux does not run fine on Apple hardware..

Coda and Transmit are great OS X tools for web development.
Steven_Rosenber

Mar 30, 2015
9:18 PM EDT
First of all, I'd like to thank Jim for these articles -- I appreciate him going out and finding this stuff.

Second, it still can be difficult to get all of the hardware working with a given Linux distribution, especially when the hardware is new. And for the most part, people buy new hardware. And probably 98 percent of the time we buy Windows machines and then put Linux on them.

With my current laptop, a cheap HP model, it took more than 6 months for me to get everything working, and a year to get suspend with the open Radeon driver. Unless Linux is, to some extent, your hobby, you are not going to enjoy the process. Me? I'm driven like many on this site to make everything work. It is more compulsion than anything.

Having six months, or even six hours of hardware not fully supported is too much for most people,

For people who just want to be able to code, a fully baked laptop from the manufacturer is a slam dunk. These developers' companies probably refresh the hardware every two years, so Apple screwing its users with os upgrades isn't as much of a factor.

I'm surprised to see Dell sticking with Ubuntu on one developer laptop. If they could offer five different laptops and maybe two desktops, all with support for the hardware in Linux, then we could move the needle.

Given the Ubuntu Phone situation, Canonical hasn't cared much about desktops for far too long, and GNOME 3 isn't setting even the Linux world on fire.

If Red Hat made an effort to get RHEL on laptops, then maybe we'd be getting somewhere.

The only thing that can turn this around is companies like Dell offering more preloaded hardware and maybe even promoting it. Linux has many advantages, and taking care of its rough edges would go a long way toward drawing no developers who are non-Linux hobbyists to the platform.

the_doctor

Mar 30, 2015
10:01 PM EDT
The Mac is 10.0% of the desktop market: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

Of that 10% let us say that 1% of the users are Web developers, just for the sake of argument.

Linux is 5.4%. So let's steal that 1% away from the Mac and give it to Linux.

Linux would be 6.4% of the market and the Mac would be 9% of the market.

It's hardly worth worrying about.

mbaehrlxer

Mar 31, 2015
12:22 AM EDT
linux runs fine on a mac, except for the wifi driver not working out of the box, the touchpad needing extra manual config to get three buttons, and the high resolution messing up the layout of widgets in some places. haven't looked into keyboard backlighting, or camera and mic...

it works ok'ish.

i am also coming from a lenovo machine with the red button in the middle, and i am not really used to a touchpad, so that throws me off occasionally.

i kept oxs on dualboot, but i doubt i'll use it much because osx won't let me boot linux while hibernating. that's quite irritating. on another laptop i can dual-boot between windows and linux perfectly fine while hibernating each OS before switching. saves a lot of boot-up time.

greetings, eMBee.
jimlynch

Mar 31, 2015
9:40 AM EDT
Steven, you are very welcome. I'm glad that you found the discussion interesting. Makes me feel good. :)
NoDough

Mar 31, 2015
12:53 PM EDT
the_doctor wrote:The Mac is 10.0% of the desktop market: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

Of that 10% let us say that 1% of the users are Web developers, just for the sake of argument.

1% of 10% = 0.1%

0.01 * 0.1 = 0.001

the_doctor wrote:Linux is 5.4%. So let's steal that 1% away from the Mac and give it to Linux.

Linux would be 6.4% of the market and the Mac would be 9% of the market.

5.4% + 0.1% = 5.5% <> 6.4%

0.054 + 0.001 = 0.055 <> 0.064

10.0% - 0.1% = 9.9% <> 9.0%

0.1 - 0.01 = 0.099 <> 0.09

Math is hard.

Edit: Apparently, so are newlines in these posts.
gus3

Mar 31, 2015
1:47 PM EDT
I always use "Preview" when there's anything beyond simple text in my comments.
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 01, 2015
8:51 PM EDT
Quoting:Steven, you are very welcome. I'm glad that you found the discussion interesting. Makes me feel good. :)

I'm on Reddit fairly regularly, and I only saw this thread as the result of your article, so I'm thankful for the service.
jimlynch

Apr 02, 2015
10:38 AM EDT
Cool, thanks again Steven. I like Reddit a lot too, it's a great source for interesting stories and comments. There are always juicy tidbits to be found there on various subreddits.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!