Well, there's your 2% right there...

Story: Ubuntu Now Has Over 20 Millions of Users, According to CanonicalTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
JaseP

Apr 20, 2015
3:10 AM EDT
Well, there's your 2% right there... If there are slightly more than 1B active computers in the world, and there are 20M Ubuntu users,... That is 2% of the computers on Ubuntu alone,... and if Ubuntu is 50% of all Linux users (after all, Mint took a significant share since the whole Unity debacle),... That puts Linux users at ... at LEAST 4% world-wide... Yet,... Mysteriously,... We KEEP hearing this ridiculous "less than 2% figure" ... ?!?!

The only thing I can say is: Propaganda well paid for!!!
the_doctor

Apr 20, 2015
8:51 AM EDT
One billion?

Try 3:

http://www.internetlivestats.com/internet-users/
JaseP

Apr 20, 2015
9:02 AM EDT
Granted, my figure is from 2010,... But then it was 1B (where your internet connected figure shows 2B, at that time). The 3B figure (your source) includes mobile devices. The 1B figure is for x86 compatible computers (desktop, laptop & alternative form factor)...

If you are going to include mobile devices, the proliferation of Android devices means that you would be looking at a Linux figure of somewhere around 28%...
jdixon

Apr 20, 2015
9:32 AM EDT
> If you are going to include mobile devices, the proliferation of Android devices means that you would be looking at a Linux figure of somewhere around 28%...

Oh, it's far higher than that: http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-os-market-share.jsp

Android dominates the mobile space. With it included, we'd be looking at something close to a 40% share.
the_doctor

Apr 20, 2015
5:01 PM EDT
Mobile only makes up 5% of the market:

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
JaseP

Apr 20, 2015
5:40 PM EDT
From that very page:
Quoting: Statistics Can Be Misleading You cannot - as a web developer - rely ONLY on statistics. Statistics can be misleading.

Note: W3Schools is a website for people with an interest for web technologies. These people are more interested in using alternative browsers than the average user. The average user tends to use the browser that comes preinstalled with their computer, and do not seek out other browser alternatives.

Tip: Global averages may not be relevant to your web site. Different sites attract different audiences. Some web sites attract professional developers using professional hardware, while other sites attract hobbyists using old computers.

Anyway, our data, collected from W3Schools' log-files, over many years, clearly shows the long term trends.
W3Schools is a web developer site... of course its going to have only 5% mobile... I'd like to see the statistics for THIS site,... I'd bet it's 85%+ Linux... Plus I'd like to see the statistics on W3Schools who dual boot (bet they are counting as Windows)...
ljmp

Apr 20, 2015
6:26 PM EDT
Determining OS through browser user agents is statistics with bad data, because user agents can be changed to be whatever the user wants.

Also, determining that a product is 'good' or 'popular' because that product appears in Google search terms more often than some other product -- is statistics with bad data, because the product may be terrible and lots of people are searching for help using it -- due to some large company purchasing, using, deploying said product.

This is why I don't put much faith in OS market share stats or popularity contest stats for various programs, platforms, etc...

About the only thing that can be claimed is a "Probability of popularity" or a "Probability of OS identification" -- which means using these non-scientific data to determine that product X is 5% of the market while product Y is 4% of the market is not really possible -- and it's still not possible with larger percentage differences either... but the probability of some relation rises with the difference, simply because humans are in the loop and usually don't mess with things.

Made up data are better than no data -- I suppose.
the_doctor

Apr 20, 2015
10:32 PM EDT
W3Schools also shows that the Linux market share is 5.3%. Do you believe that number to be false?

Or do you believe NetMarketShare's assessment that puts Linux usage at 1.5%?

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share....

I deal only with the facts that are available.

The "agenda" I leave to others.
flufferbeer

Apr 20, 2015
11:22 PM EDT
@jaseP

>> That is 2% of the computers on Ubuntu alone,... and if Ubuntu is 50% of all Linux users (after all, Mint took a significant share since the whole Unity debacle),... That puts Linux users at ... at LEAST 4% world-wide... Yet,... Mysteriously,... We KEEP hearing this ridiculous "less than 2% figure" ... ?!?!

The only thing I can say is: Propaganda well paid for!!! <<

Well said! Propaganda paid for and readily provided courtesy of the "new" M$....M$huttleworth2much. Now just wait for the barrage of announcements and postings from his fanbois abt the latest and greatest Baboon2 15.x !!!

2c
dbaxps

Apr 21, 2015
1:59 AM EDT
Is Microsoft still ahead or already behind ?
JaseP

Apr 21, 2015
4:43 PM EDT
MS is still has majority of x86 desktop machines and is at once a major "behind." ;)
alc

Apr 21, 2015
5:08 PM EDT
"MS is still has majority of x86 desktop machines and is at once a major "behind." ;)"

Well said.
flufferbeer

Apr 26, 2015
3:21 PM EDT
Previously,

>> Now just wait for the barrage of announcements and postings from his fanbois abt the latest and greatest Baboon2 15.x !!!

Just a TEMPORARY reprieve of the Baboon2 Barrage while current news of systemDebian "Jessie" plays itself out.

2more c's
seatex

Apr 26, 2015
4:28 PM EDT
Fortunately, the 15.04 buntus can still be swapped back to upstart init, instead of systemd.

And if you want Debian 8 without systemd, you can run LMDE 2.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!