Visual Studio No Code

Story: First Look at Visual Studio Code for LinuxTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
penguinist

May 01, 2015
9:40 AM EDT
But where's the Code??

Oh I get it... "Visual Studio Code" is a brand name. It's actually closed proprietary software.

I'm going to propose a new name: "Visual Studio No Code".
mrider

May 01, 2015
10:52 AM EDT
It's funny, lots of people think that V.S. is the best thing since buttered bread. Personally, I can tolerate it, but I don't really care for it.

IMHO, it has the same problem as e.g. M.S. Word - namely it's too helpful. For every freaking character I type, it has a suggestion. Every. Freaking. Character. And most of the suggestions are ludicrous.

And FSM help you if you happen to have a package whose name is too close to that of the API. I've literally had V.S. "correct" perfectly valid code so that it uses its package and class instead of mine, only to complain afterward that the code doesn't compile. Well, no spit! Leave the code alone and it will work just fine!
seatex

May 01, 2015
10:52 AM EDT
It's actually a fishing lure with hooks.

Or maybe it's tuna, because it smells like tuna.
DrGeoffrey

May 01, 2015
10:59 AM EDT
Quoting:it smells like tuna.

That's been left rotting in the hot sun for 2 weeks.

But what do we expect? It's from Microsoft, after all.
CFWhitman

May 01, 2015
11:45 AM EDT
I think you can turn off the auto-correct feature in Visual Studio if you want. Of course, I say this even though I've been a bit too lazy to turn it off in Microsoft Word, though it annoys me a lot.

When I must write .Net code I use SharpDevelop rather than Visual Studio, which, though it does do suggestions, I don't find as annoying. Of course, it's also perfectly free of charge, and I don't have to dig around to find it on the Internet (there are free versions of Visual Studio, but last I knew you had to dig around Microsoft's site to find them).
mrider

May 01, 2015
1:34 PM EDT
@CFWhitman: Eventually I can tame V.S. so that it is a bit less annoying, but it takes a while to hit all the nooks and crannies. And it's endemic to Microsoft's attitude - here let me tie you up in a straight jacket, and then spoon-feed you the things I think you want.

Fah!
JaseP

May 04, 2015
9:48 AM EDT
All modern IDEs suffer from the same feature bloat... Even Eclipse. I had to use Visual Studio to code in X86 assembly (& what a pain that was!). I ended up just using the template of the same basic project, and saving my source code as something else when I was done. All of the IDEs have the same bloated design philosophy.

I actually do most of my coding in KDE's Kate (not that I am, or will ever be, a professional software developer). The big exception is coding for Android. There, I've started to use Android Studio. But, even that requires this massive learning curve. They want to do so much for you that it actually makes it harder to get started. I suppose that once you are developing software as a day-to-day thing, some of that can reduce the weight on your shoulders, but I have yet to be at a point where I get a real benefit from all that coding automation.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!