Way !

Story: Linux Mint expects to switch to systemd next yearTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
dba477

May 15, 2015
4:02 AM EDT
Ubuntu and it's clones are switching to systemd. I cannot remind when it happened on Fedora (around 16 release)

May 15, 2015
6:44 AM EDT
Fedora has pretty much been the development distro for systemd.

Frankly i it worries me how many eggs are in that distro basket, to the point that they seem able to dictate the direction of the Linux ecosystem.
penguinist

May 15, 2015
7:37 AM EDT
Meanwhile most of my sysadmin friends are holding on centos/rhel version 6 in order to avoid pulling systemd into play in professional environments.
dbaxps

May 15, 2015
11:12 AM EDT
How about RHEL 7.X (CentOS 7.X) Kernel 3.10.X ?
JaseP

May 15, 2015
4:41 PM EDT
RedHat/CentOS/Scientific Linux 6.Xs that are something like 6.4 [he] above,... I think (could be wrong about the version numbers),... all use systemd. There usually is not enough of an upgrade in kernel features to even remotely justify the major shift in admin work processes that switching to systemd represents. The 6.X series even run a 2.6 era kernel (How's that for taking a wait-n-see attitude?!?!). ... Sytemd is a classic example of the reason behind the adage: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
penguinist

May 15, 2015
7:01 PM EDT
centos/rhel version 6 is not using systemd. It was, however, introduced into centos/rhel version 7. That is the reason that many of us are holding at version 6 until the dust settles.
BernardSwiss

May 15, 2015
7:24 PM EDT
One more data point against the argument that supposed SystemD in "winning over" one distro after another, because of systemd's alleged inherent merits.

Once again, this announcement boils down to:

"We are switching over to Systemd -- because we don't have a meaningful option to do otherwise. All we can realistically do is slow the process down some, to keep the switch-over from getting too messy."
dba477

May 16, 2015
4:13 AM EDT
Why I told "Way !" in a bit more details ( the core issue of non-technical nature )

At systemd there is more active, large and versatile community of developers into which engineers of the SUSE and Red Hat companies enter. When using upstart the distribution kit becomes dependent on Canonical without which support of upstart remains without developers and will be doomed to stagnation.Participation in development of upstart requires signing of the agreement on transfer of property rights of the Canonical company.

The Red Hat company not without cause decided on replacement of upstart by systemd. Debian project was already compelled to migrate for systemd. For realization of some opportunities of loading in Upstart it is required to use fragments of shell-scripts that does initialization process less reliable and more labor-consuming for debugging.
kikinovak

May 16, 2015
8:40 AM EDT
Everybody let's just listen to Justin Bieber and Britney Spears, since they have the better fan support, and Charles Mingus isn't playing any more gigs.
dba477

May 16, 2015
9:39 AM EDT
Once again about pros/cons of Systemd and Upstart

https://bderzhavets.wordpress.com/2015/05/16/once-again-abou...

May 16, 2015
9:51 AM EDT
Funny how OpenRC etc are left out of the equation...
JaseP

May 16, 2015
8:13 PM EDT
Oops,... Well, I was wrong about the RHEL inclusion of systemd,... It's RHEL 7.X and above,... But not the kernel version for the RHEL v6 series (kernel 2.6.32, with some back-ports).
dba477

May 17, 2015
2:46 AM EDT
In particular "namespaces" support was ported RHEL 6.5 Kernel 2.6.32
dba477

May 17, 2015
2:49 AM EDT
Regarding RHEL 7.0. It was built based on Fedora 19 basis. Systemd was suspended during F15 test phase and merged F16 release.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!