Somebody had a great cartoon in the comments...

Story: White House sides with Oracle, tells Supreme Court APIs are copyrightableTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
JaseP

May 28, 2015
4:32 PM EDT
Somebody had a great cartoon in the comments... captioned, "The STUPID,... It BURNS!!!"
seatex

May 28, 2015
7:30 PM EDT
The White House shouldn't be siding with anyone in a Supreme Court case. I wonder why??? Not really.
thenixedreport

May 28, 2015
9:25 PM EDT
They can freely give their opinion, but that's all they can do on that seeing as how they are a part of the executive branch. I'm going to bet at some point it either gets smacked down or both companies will simply come to an agreement.
BernardSwiss

May 29, 2015
12:44 AM EDT
It's not really the Whitehouse, it's the Solicitor General -- Donald Verrilli, formerly the MPAA's top lawyer. Verrilli quite unsurprisingly ignored all the input from all the the people who actually knew anything, when he wrote up that statement..
the_doctor

May 29, 2015
8:28 AM EDT
https://i.imgur.com/9xrEv0X.jpg
JaseP

May 29, 2015
9:40 AM EDT
There it is,... My thanks to the_doctor.
skelband

Jun 01, 2015
2:34 PM EDT
I do wonder if Oracle are painting themselves into a corner by persisting in this strategy. Even a company like Oracle has to rely on a range of publicly available APIs. I'm sure they would be the first to change their minds if the boot was on the other foot. For instance, I'm pretty sure that the ODBC APIs are not of Oracle's construction. Didn't they originally come from Microsoft?

Making APIs copywriteable is one sort of mutually assured destruction in the software business, so why would anyone in their right minds want to pursue something like this?
gus3

Jun 02, 2015
12:57 PM EDT
How long until the POSIX open(), read(), write(), and close() functions are copyrighted?

Further comment from me at this time will violate the TOS.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!