But Microsoft cares about user security soooo... much!

Story: Public warning: Windows 10 will share your Wi-Fi password with your friends' friendsTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
BernardSwiss

Jul 01, 2015
2:25 AM EDT
Microsoft says that relatively obscure and inconvenient measures like Secure Boot are absolutely necessary, in order to protect users' security, but they can turn around and float idiotic ideas like this?

Draw your own conclusions...
Ridcully

Jul 01, 2015
3:21 AM EDT
I saw this earlier today and I'd make a simple comment: "A secret is ONLY a secret when it is known to just one person." It's why I will NOT use any of the social networks. I thoroughly agree with you BernardSwiss. AS far as I am concerned, Microsoft's only aims are control of its customers, and a direct suction tube to the contents of their wallets. I always feel that security is only a name at Redmond.

Jul 01, 2015
10:12 AM EDT
Sadly, Ridcully, that is the MO of every corporation out there.
gary_newell

Jul 01, 2015
11:59 AM EDT
Glad I live half way up a mountain. Nobody wants to use my wifi
linux4567

Jul 14, 2015
3:56 PM EDT
I don't even have any Wi-Fi at home, why should I even have such a thing?
notbob

Jul 15, 2015
12:01 PM EDT
> I don't even have any Wi-Fi at home, why should I even have such a thing?

I rarely use it. Even my Roku is ethernet. OTOH, I got a desktop box from a friend who wanted to change to Linux cuz he had so much cruft on his XP OS. I was out of ethernet ports on my DSL modem, so tried to set up wifi to get online with a temp Live Knoppix OS. Turns out the XP box was pre-wifi. DOH!

Still, I use wifi to pair my Android cellphone to my Roku/TV setup. Very handy for watching Youtube. ;)
JaseP

Jul 15, 2015
4:17 PM EDT
I converted the Win 8.1 machine, that I needed in order to complete a Comp. Sci. degree program, to Kubuntu 14.04 (with fully working UEFI Secure Boot, by the way). I had intended to do this all along, but the plan got hastened by the fact that when trying to install an app to root my Android phone, I inadvertently installed about 12 pieces of malware. It took over 7 hours to remove the malware apps, manually (registry edits, manual program file deletes and everything). Microsoft's UEFI secure boot implementation didn't do a darn thing to stop any of it. So much for that being there for security. Oh,... And Kubuntu was installed, working, had been fully configured to my liking,... all in under an hour.
penguinist

Jul 21, 2015
3:56 PM EDT
Well I guess I am immune to this latest Microsoft security blunder since I don't have any MS machines attached to my wifi.
gus3

Jul 22, 2015
2:52 PM EDT
Smart move, penguinist. If your employer ever insists you take a Windows device to use at home for work purposes, tell them they have to pay for the connectivity as well. Your network, your property, and you won't allow any Windows machines on it.
penguinist

Jul 22, 2015
3:35 PM EDT
My employers know where I stand on closed proprietary products, and they know enough not to make such demands of me. :)

As far as I'm concerned, my OS choice is more important to me than my job and my employers understand and honor this. It's important to first be very good at what you do before you start taking strong stands like this, but if you do have something unique and valuable to offer, then the jobs come to you and you have power in the equation.

So, there will be no MS systems attached to my wifi !

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!