Right to repair

Story: New Advocacy Group Is Lobbying for the Right to Repair EverythingTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
penguinist

Feb 10, 2016
1:24 PM EDT
This "Right to Repair" initiative resonates well with me.

Years ago I bought an HDTV for which a nice factory service manual, complete with a full set of schematic diagrams, was available for a nominal ($20) price. Since then I've repaired it three times and have extended its life by years beyond my first expectations.

Now I'm waiting for the 4K large screens to come out. (Yes I know that the hdmi 1.4 30Hz models are available, but I'm holding out for one with full hdmi 2.0 60Hz support before I upgrade). While looking, I always check to see if the hardware is open, at least to the extent where a service manual is available. I'm also still hoping to find a vendor with open firmware but so far I've been disappointed on that point. Even the semi-open/semi-closed Android would be better than a fully closed proprietary "smart TV".

I for one will certainly be voting with my pocketbook when the right product comes out, and in the meantime I'm enjoying the process of asking the big box sales-dudes to explain to me the openness features of the products their store carries. By asking the questions again and again, we educate the sales channels to understand what keeps their customers from opening their pocketbooks.
dotmatrix

Feb 10, 2016
1:51 PM EDT
While I agree with the 'open hardware' and easily available repair manuals, the thing that is most upsetting to me is the inability to manually apply security patches to the software running on the machines. Some people call this software 'firmware'. However, I usually refer to firmware as something lower level than a web browser...

I've discovered several pieces of old software with major security vulnerabilities running on my 'smart TV' and have had to firewall the thing from all Internet access... Some of the old software is more than 2 years old, and patches have been available for at least a year on some things...

So, of course, it would be great to be able to fix the thing if it breaks -- but even more important would be to be able to apply patches so that my network is not compromised from within by the IoT.
jdixon

Feb 10, 2016
3:54 PM EDT
> Some people call this software 'firmware'.

I believe they're technically correct. The software undoubtedly loads from some type of semi-permanent flash memory. I suspect you have to re-flash the entire image to make any changes.

> So, of course, it would be great to be able to fix the thing if it breaks -- but even more important would be to be able to apply patches so that my network is not compromised from within by the IoT.

The first class action lawsuit against a major manufacturer for not updating their firmware and causing a major problem is going to be interesting to watch.
notbob

Feb 10, 2016
6:48 PM EDT
< The first class action lawsuit against a major manufacturer for not updating their firmware and causing a major problem is going to be interesting to watch.

If such a scenario ever occurs.

Why update software for a model when it's easier and infinitely more profitable to jes introduce a newer model with the updates. It's win-win. You get yer update, the vendor gets yer $$$. ;)
jdixon

Feb 10, 2016
7:43 PM EDT
> If such a scenario ever occurs.

I have faith in lawyers' overwhelming desire to make money and willingness to use the court system to do so.
notbob

Feb 10, 2016
11:18 PM EDT
Yeah, well there's that. Sadly. 8|
mbaehrlxer

Feb 11, 2016
2:47 PM EDT
in europe there is a 2 year warranty on hardware by law. i wonder if not updating for existing patches can be construed as not meeting that warranty. that would make for an interesting court-case.

greetings, martin.
CFWhitman

Feb 12, 2016
11:49 AM EDT
In the U.S., it is most common for electronics manufacturers to give a one year warranty, but (at least in most, if not all states) there is no law compelling them to do so.

Warranty laws vary by state. However, in most states failure to specify warranty terms results in an implied warranty of several years. That's why you generally see a warranty prominently featured. They are not really advertising their great warranty, as they try to represent it, but rather, declaring their intention not to provide the warranty state law otherwise grants on everything. Used items are different and often sold "as-is" with no warranty. It is also possible to declare that there is no warranty on a new item, but you have to make some kind of declaration in regard to warranty in order not to be under obligation for a very good warranty.

What the state laws accomplish for the most part is that warranty terms are always specified up front, so you know what they are.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!