Wired's pop-up heavy

Story: A Government Error Just Revealed Snowden Was the Target in the Lavabit CaseTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
flufferbeer

Mar 22, 2016
12:02 PM EDT
Get a load of Wired's "new and improved" content-blocker banner pop-up wielded here to COERCE potential readers to lower their shields against adware pushouts.

-- begin quote --

Here’s The Thing With Ad Blockers

We get it: Ads aren’t what you’re here for. But ads help us keep the lights on. So, add us to your ad blocker’s whitelist or pay $1 per week for an ad-free version of WIRED. Either way, you are supporting our journalism. We’d really appreciate it.

-- end quote --

Got it.

here's yet ANOTHER reader who'll studiously AVOID Wired's unessential content more often!
penguinist

Mar 22, 2016
12:09 PM EDT
@flufferbeer: You must not be running a script manager. The Wired link comes up for me as a perfectly clean page with no pop-ups at all.

Suggestion: Firefox with the "NoScript" extension, or something equivalent.
jdixon

Mar 22, 2016
12:11 PM EDT
Hmm. I didn't get that, and I'm running Adblock Edge. Maybe it uses Javascript to determine if you're running an Adblocker, and NoScript blocks it?
flufferbeer

Mar 22, 2016
1:01 PM EDT
@jdixon,

> Maybe it uses Javascript to determine if you're running an Adblocker, and NoScript blocks it?

Yep, Wired could very well be passive-aggressively trying readers' lower NoScript shields to foist (or payout to avoid!) its adware onto at least THIS suspecting customer. The severe irony of paying that $1/wk RANSOMEWARE to unlock Wired'$ adware is that this very article has a prominent link to http://www.wired.com/2015/09/hacker-lexicon-guide-ransomware... >:{

Quick, quick Wired PR ppl... get that discrediting 'Guide to Ransomware, the Scary Hack That’s on the Rise' link off your article pages before the bulk of your UNsuspecting readers finally catch on and abandon ship!

=fb
dotmatrix

Mar 22, 2016
1:12 PM EDT
Easy... when you open the link...

*select all

*copy

*paste into text editor.

The 'active' web is over rated anyway.

I block nearly everything. One of the more annoying things is trying to read 'blogspot' articles. Typically half of the first paragraph is unreadable for some reason unexplored by me...

A copy and paste later and I'm happily reading.
gus3

Mar 22, 2016
1:59 PM EDT
Wired? Who's that?

Oh yeah, the rag that put two known perjurers on the cover and dubbed them "The Two Men Who Will Save the World".

That cost Wired the last shreds of credibility they had with me.
BernardSwiss

Mar 22, 2016
10:39 PM EDT
Well... using the Ghostery plug-in, I've allowed the larger part of the ads, but not the trackers -- and that appears to have been enough. I got a "thank-you" screen (still no ads :-P )

I've always said, that I'm OK with (well-behaved) ads, but not trackers, etc. And I usually find that allowing ads but not trackers blocks ads anyhow (and is "registered as "blocking ads").

So I'll give Wired some credit on this one.

(On the other hand, I'm liking Ghostery less and less -- it's interface has been steadily getting less informative and more confusing, and more awkward to use -- and it's no longer quite clear exactly what they're doing for me. It''s prettier, but less helpful.)
mbaehrlxer

Mar 23, 2016
2:09 AM EDT
same here, i don't mind the ads as long as they are static images. no animations. no javascript and no tracking.

greetings, eMBee.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!