My favorite line from the annoying myths post

Story: Annoying myths about Linux that won't go awayTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
dotmatrix

May 27, 2016
1:41 PM EDT
Postmodern quoted by J Lynch wrote:I wish developers who continue to defend and customize OSX would realize they’re basically Linux users.”

mbaehrlxer

May 28, 2016
1:19 PM EDT
hah, yes! except that i would add: an inferior, broken distribution.

i tried installing rails once on someones machine at an event where i was helping, and utterly failed. the irony was that there was a nice mac package for rails, but it would not support that OSX version.

when i got my own mac, i installed fedora as fast as i could. sadly, linux support for macs is not working well. i only get 2 hours of battery, hibernate does not work. while sleeping the thing keeps waking up every once in a while (apparently a feature for macs, i find it very annoying, (it makes people come online on irc for a few seconds every few minutes, and it just plainly wastes my battery))

greetings, eMBee. (end-rant)
dotmatrix

May 28, 2016
1:47 PM EDT
>i only get 2 hours of battery, hibernate does not work. while sleeping the thing keeps waking up every once in a while

I think this is usually due to proprietary microcode that needs to be installed so that the processor and motherboard subsystems work.

...sigh...

Again, RMS is usually correct.

penguinist

May 28, 2016
3:02 PM EDT
RMS is my hero. He was just a decade or two ahead of his time.
mbaehrlxer

May 29, 2016
10:57 AM EDT
the thought just occurred to me that for any long lasting trend, whether good or bad, someone is almost always ahead of the time. but in many cases those that lead the trend don't see it through but eventually turn to other interests. RMS is one of the few people who stuck to his ideals and never stopped pushing.

greetings, eMBee.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!