You can't fix stupid

Story: 'I urge everyone to fight back' - woman wins $10k from Microsoft over Windows 10 miseryTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
seatex

Jun 28, 2016
11:27 AM EDT
People - do your research on Windows 10, and switch to Linux already.

Me thinks I smell a EULA revision forthcoming from Redmond.
dotmatrix

Jun 28, 2016
3:08 PM EDT
It looks like small claims is the way to go to squeeze blood from the stone...

>a EULA revision forthcoming

According to the article, it seems the terms of any EULA are superseded in California by the California Uniform Commercial Code.

If true... and it seems to be... maybe more people will sue. It would be much better than a 'class action' because the end users, who have actual cash damages to report, will collect most of the fines awarded.

Maybe Microsoft will clean up their act... doubtful though.
mbaehrlxer

Jun 29, 2016
6:47 AM EDT
laws always trump contracts. it's just that in most of the US there are simply no laws against such contracts.

the big thing here is that using small claims court is a "new" tactic that can help many people, because you are not dependent on expensive lawyers.

so instead of hoping to rally up lots of people for a class-action suit, help them instead fight one by one.

reminds me of this:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jun/28/chatbot-a...

someone developed a tool that guides people through the process of contesting parking tickets. a similar tool could guide people to fight microsoft in small claims court.

greetings, eMBee.
penguinist

Jun 29, 2016
7:59 AM EDT
I like this idea.

Microsoft has been a big BULLY for far too long. It's about time that the playing field is leveled and they are called to task for their misdeeds.
seatex

Jun 29, 2016
8:55 AM EDT
> Microsoft has been a big BULLY for far too long. It's about time that the playing field is leveled and they are called to task for their misdeeds.

Couldn't agree more with that sentiment.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!