BS

Story: 9 Reasons not to Install Nagios in your CompanyTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
deadrabbit

Oct 24, 2016
1:09 PM EDT
Anti open source bs PR nonsense, not news. Not that anyone loves Nagios, but phrases like "like any open source solution, it lacks a roadmap for the future of your business" really make me angry. Nagios has MANY faults, but it is stable, reliable, and easy to configure. And it has outlived many proprietary solutions.
mbaehrlxer

Oct 24, 2016
2:00 PM EDT
i had a similar impression.

just gearing up to install nagios for a customer myself, the points for each install being different, limited out of the box (most certainly not on debian, which comes prepackaged with hundreds of plugins), difficult to integrate with automatic provisioning (it appears someone already did the work at least for saltstack, because my server was provisioned quite automaticly), i can easily refute. and most of the rest are, as you say, anti FOSS PR nonsense.

seems to be their style, they even downtalk their own community version.

greetings, eMBee.
mbaehrlxer

Oct 24, 2016
2:22 PM EDT
oh, also, i would have considered looking at pandorafms as an alternative, but with that attitude, i'll rather not...

greetings, eMBee.
jdixon

Oct 24, 2016
4:13 PM EDT
Since the page wouldn't load for me, even after I allowed scripts for the site, I rejected it out of hand.

The same thing was true for the pandorafms site the last time I tried it.

I'm not going to globally allow scripts to get a page to load without a good reason.
rnturn

Oct 24, 2016
10:07 PM EDT
Wow.

What a crock. I haven't read this much FUD in a long, long time. I wondered where all the former anti-OpenSource folks went.

I read through each numbered point and instantly recalled a similar argument from 10-15 years ago why you shouldn't, say, allow Linux to be installed within your company: No roadmap.. You need a dedicated admin (who'll, presumably, actually want to be paid for their work. The horror!)... etc.. I particularly liked the "bespoke" installation problem. Because, you know, all companies' IT setups are identical so your monitoring "solution" should be, too. (I suppose the argument is that "bespoke" == "needs dedicated and allegedly expensive admin".)

Are there still people who have been in IT management for more than a handful of years who would find these points convincing?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!