another successful Free Software and Open Source business...

Story: Mozilla Reports 2015 Revenue of $421.3MTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
mbaehrlxer

Dec 02, 2016
8:41 PM EDT
wow, it looks like Mozilla managed to successfully profit from the search business.

i also find interesting that opera, the only other company whose primary product is a webbrowser, (so in a way, opera is Mozillas only competitor in making money with a browser) only earns about 200million more. and they just sold their webbrowser.

since we don't know how much money Google, Apple or Microsoft are making from their browsers (and any money they are making from browsers is indirect), we can effectively conclude that Mozilla is the only successful desktop browser business today.

and it is a successful Free Software and Open Source business too. given those revenue numbers possibly the second most successful one behind RedHat.

(is there any other Free Software and Open Source business that has these kinds of revenue numbers?)

greetings, eMBee.
seatex

Dec 03, 2016
9:24 AM EDT
So why am I getting a rash of emails from Mozilla now, asking for more $$$? 2 or 3 in the past week alone.
mrider

Dec 03, 2016
11:06 AM EDT
Some money good, more money better.
cybertao

Dec 03, 2016
2:33 PM EDT
Is it a business or a charity? Being a non-profit entity makes it more like the later.
mbaehrlxer

Dec 04, 2016
8:01 AM EDT
Mozilla Foundation is a non-profit, but Mozilla Corporation is not: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Corporation

it appears that most or all earnings com through the corporation, not through the foundation. but since the corporation is owned by the foundation, the corporations revenue is also the foundations revenue.

greetings, eMBee.
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 21, 2016
1:03 AM EDT
Mozilla does not make a compelling case for why they need Average Joe's $$$.
mbaehrlxer

Dec 21, 2016
2:11 AM EDT
apart from smaller projects and opera, mozilla is the only widely used browser that is developed independently does not serve other interests. chrome, safari, internet explorer all serve their hardware/software/advertizing business. only mozilla serves itself, and thus its users.

they may not make a compelling enough argument to donate to them, but the other major browsers don't make an argument at all.

greetings, eMBee.
jdixon

Dec 21, 2016
9:40 AM EDT
> apart from smaller projects and opera, mozilla is the only widely used browser that is developed independently does not serve other interests

Such as Brave: https://www.brave.com/

> ...they may not make a compelling enough argument to donate to them,

They've made several compelling arguments (by their actions) that they don't want donations from me or those like me. I've obliged them by switching to and supporting Pale Moon. I would also use Brave, but they don't provide a 32 bit version.

Finances dictate that I can only support a handful of projects. Of those out there my preferred one is our own Ken Stark's Reglue. which just started their annual fund raising campaign.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!