Yes, Evil Hackers are After You

Story: No, Evil Hackers Aren’t After YouTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
dotmatrix

Mar 17, 2017
10:01 AM EDT
The evil hackers are not necessarily the CIA, FBI, and NSA. Those organizations are recording a lot of information. And that information can be used against you whenever it suits the suits...

However, the threat of evil hackers is not limited to governments. Identity theft is big money. Ransomware exploits are big money. The 'evil hackers' are out to get you... yes... even boring you.

And what kind of world do you want to live in anyway?

The kind of world where the precise location of any given citizen can be pinpointed at nearly all hours of any given day? Or a world where the government needs a warrant for that kind of information?

Just because the government is not out to get you today, doesn't mean they won't be out to get you tomorrow. And that very boring and mundane life of yours may suddenly seem not so mundane to the political machines driven by all that data. Why would any government do this? Because they can.
jdixon

Mar 17, 2017
12:58 PM EDT
My sshd log from the time I had my machine open to the net disagrees with him.

> Why would any government do this? Because they can.

“Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.” ― attributed to George Washington, though this is disputed.
dotmatrix

Mar 17, 2017
1:21 PM EDT
>My sshd log from the time I had my machine open to the net disagrees with him.

The sshd attackers are looking for the low hanging fruit... anything that matches their username/password lists.

The argument is basically:
  1. "Evil Hackers are looking for machines to zombie and don't care about you as an individual."
  2. "The Government is only looking for hardened criminals."
  3. "Corporations just want to tailor services to your needs."
All of these are demonstrably false. And even if they are partially true... meaning, not all government personnel are tracking you as individual or corporations don't use the data that way... the fact remains that both the government and the corporate data thieves could use the data that way. It's very likely that eventually a given individual's online history will be available at the touch on a button to either corrupt corporate interests or corrupt government interests or corrupt criminal interests. And then what... maybe the side that the individual is on is no longer in political power... and then what?

Why would people offer either corporations or the government complete tracking power? It's simply insane to believe that all that information and power will never be used against a given individual for nefarious purposes. None of what I wrote says, "I'm important"... no... that's not the problem nor the message. The problem is: "I'm not important, so why do you have a complete dossier on my activities?"
nmset

Mar 17, 2017
1:57 PM EDT
>"I'm not important, so why do you have a complete dossier on my activities?"

The fear to lose power : as old as the sun. Same as : the urge to dominate.

Anxiety : related to above; they need a good psychiatrist.

Voyeurism : as old as the human kind; incurable.

What can the citizens do ? For the most part, they want it to be this way because of (badly) perceived security, and they are too busy enjoying life. For the others, they watch the boat sink powerless.

The author seems too old to be naive. He is just playing the game nicely for his bosses.
jdixon

Mar 17, 2017
3:11 PM EDT
> The sshd attackers are looking for the low hanging fruit... anything that matches their username/password lists.

Of course. But most automated attacks are that way. That doesn't make them any less dangerous if there's a known vulnerability that hasn't been patched yet.
mbaehrlxer

Mar 18, 2017
3:51 AM EDT
for every person who uses their high security clearance to clearance to reveal national secrets to the public there is surely a few more who will use the same clearance for their own personal gain. like that guy who put his (ex-)wife on the no-fly list.

the problem is not hiding from unlikely enemies, but avoiding to become collateral damage.

we might just as well walk around unprotected in a war-zone. they are not attacking civilians, right? that's what they said, and besides, we are tourists, we have no beef with either side, so we are totally safe.

greetings, eMBee.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!