screenshots not in ASCII??? :-(

Story: Display Linux Distribution Logo in ASCII Art in TerminalTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
mbaehrlxer

Aug 12, 2017
1:56 PM EDT
there i was hoping that this article would reveal its beautiful artwork in a text-based browser (lynx,w3m) but no such luck. i am sadly disappointed ;-(

greetings, eMBee.
dotmatrix

Aug 12, 2017
2:09 PM EDT
I remember being shocked when I discovered that ASCII text rendering on a web page is somewhat non-trivial, even if that web page is being rendered in an ASCII text browser.

On ASCII:

For security reasons, I don't use web mail and only read and write email in plain text with zero html rendering. It's amazing to me that my text formatting doesn't appear correctly to my web mail based recipients. This is a pet peeve of mine. With all the "technology" out there... no corporate provider seems to be able to effectively and correctly render text emails as intended... they all incorrect use or ignore the content types.
mbaehrlxer

Aug 12, 2017
2:43 PM EDT
Quoting:It's amazing to me that my text formatting doesn't appear correctly to my web mail based recipients.

oh, i have never thought about this. is it really that bad?

that has me worried. i am sending plain text email to customers...

greetings, eMBee.
dotmatrix

Aug 12, 2017
6:03 PM EDT
>is it really that bad?

Paragraph formatting seems to be mostly OK. However, anything resembling a table or ASCII art is almost definitely fubr.

Num     |   Type     | Thing
-------------+------------+----------
      0      |    NA      |   ?

(oo)_______
            (__)       )/
                ||----w |
                ||     ||

Vs something like:

Num | Type | Thing -------------+------------+---------- 0 | NA | ?

_____________________________ < ASCII is broken in web mail > ----------------------------- ^__^ (oo)_______ (__) )/ ||----w | || ||

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!