Why did CentOS guys sell to Red Hat in the first place?

Story: The killing of CentOS Linux: 'The CentOS board doesn't get to decide what Red Hat engineering teams do'Total Replies: 6
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Jan 27, 2021
12:35 PM EDT
I've seen some saying that the CentOS guys sold to Red Hat for very little. I'm not even sure what the "aquihire" situation is at this point. This article sort of dances around that Stream is branded as CentOS, but it's really Red Hat people making it, and not the former CentOS people.
penguinist

Jan 27, 2021
4:11 PM EDT
And Stream really does not replace CentOS in production server applications. You want ultra stability, not bleeding edge.
MichaelTunnell

Feb 25, 2021
4:12 PM EDT
there are reports that CentOS was going to die as a project if Red Hat not bought them so it would have been much worse than the current situation.
Steven_Rosenber

Mar 01, 2021
5:05 PM EDT
If RH hadn't bought CentOS, Scientific Linux would have continued.
MichaelTunnell

Mar 02, 2021
1:48 AM EDT
Scientific Linux was losing funding that is why they decided to rebase on CentOS. If CentOS were to have ended, Scientific Linux would have as well. The current situation might not be ideal for some but it is better than the alternatives that would have likely happened.
prajwel

Apr 27, 2021
3:52 AM EDT
I am curious, why isn't Debian-stable popular? From what I have seen, it claims to be stable and can therefore replace CentOS.
jdixon

Apr 27, 2021
10:42 PM EDT
> ...why isn't Debian-stable popular?

It's not Red Hat compatible. Red Hat is the enterprise Linux distribution. SuSE is a far distant competitor, as is Ubuntu. People who want to be compatible across their company need Red Hat compatibility.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!