But, but, but...

Story: Put Windows to the Most Appropriate Use: Create a Bootable USB Stick with Ubuntu 10.04Total Replies: 21
Author Content
helios

May 02, 2010
8:18 PM EDT
Both methods are an excellent way to always have your favorite Ubuntu system and software with you at all times

But...what if I don't HAVE a "favorite" Ubuntu system? But...what if the added hassle of adding "restricted" software is getting tiresome every time I install it. There are complaints that in the latest release, they can't even find the restricted repos and have to add them manually. But...what if...

Never mind. I've started a flame war now anyway. I'll take my But home and wait for the flack to die down.

And by the way...as much as it chaps my But to mention it, there is a Windoze application that makes this Linux on a Stick thing completely painless. And as opposed to many Linux solutions, it works flawlessly the first time. Of course, I haven't used any of the Linux apps to do this in a while. The last couple I used made me use the command line. No big deal...I live there but the uninitiated isn't going to use the command line and most often my attempts returned with some lame a$$ed reason for failing. MeThinks anyway. Anyone on a Windoze machine? Try this out and let us know if there are any Linux solutions as easy and reliable.

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/
tracyanne

May 02, 2010
10:59 PM EDT
Ken: What To Do After Installing Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx? Run This Script! http://www.webupd8.org/2010/04/what-to-do-after-installing-u...

Works for me.
azerthoth

May 02, 2010
11:07 PM EDT
You didnt seriously suggest taking a third party script and run it as a matter of course?
tracyanne

May 02, 2010
11:30 PM EDT
Yes. Download it and read it if you don't think it's kosher.
gus3

May 02, 2010
11:44 PM EDT
As the script author also advises.
mortenalver

May 03, 2010
2:23 AM EDT
The script writer assumes, probably correctly, that users will be insterested in moving the window buttons back to the right corner. I wonder how many percent of Ubuntu users will move them back? And how many percent of those who know how to move them, will move them back?
gus3

May 03, 2010
2:38 AM EDT
Well, since it's a shell script, if one can read the script to verify it, one can also comment-out any of the general categories of actions. It's fairly well-commented.
devnet

May 03, 2010
10:50 AM EDT
Download 3rd party software to make Ubuntu run better? WTF?

that's like the cr@p Microsoft is trying to get me to do after I install Windows! I'd rather not have to run a 3rd party script or program after I install anything to make it operate as it should. This just goes to show me that Ubuntu is NOT for new users.
gus3

May 03, 2010
11:35 AM EDT
"To make Ubuntu run better" is the operative phrase there. As opposed to "cr@pware that takes CPU time and memory, phones home, and is impossible to remove" which is the case with Windows.
jdixon

May 03, 2010
1:14 PM EDT
> ...that's like the cr@p Microsoft is trying to get me to do after I install Windows!

As I noted in an earlier thread, apparently Canonical is serious about replacing Microsoft on the desktop.
azerthoth

May 03, 2010
3:18 PM EDT
So not only did it ship broken, but it's also incomplete. The upshot of this is to break every known security measure to not only add functionality but add outside uncontrolled repositories as well by running a third part script. While the script is fairly well commented, its also heavily obfuscated due to the zenity flotsam.

The whole basis of trust on this is, that in theory, someone who can and has read it says do it, to someone who may not be able to read it. Which devolves to noob A telling noob B & C to run it.

It's not just bad practice, it's $COLORFUL_INVECTIVE irresponsible.

and all in the name of 'We can cover up it's shortfalls and failings thusly'. Pathetic is the word thats wandering through my head right now.
gus3

May 03, 2010
3:49 PM EDT
Quoting:While the script is fairly well commented, its also heavily obfuscated due to the zenity flotsam.
If security is endangered by obscuring activity in Zenity calls, then the Slackware installer must be broken by design. After all, Pat Volkerding uses the "dialog" program extensively, with very similar syntax.

There's more to fear from Debian's SSL snafu, than from using Zenity in a script.
azerthoth

May 03, 2010
4:30 PM EDT
Didnt say that it was unreadable, I use (x)dialog myself. Just that removing that fluff means first knowing that it is fluff when reading a script.
helios

May 04, 2010
10:17 AM EDT
Just that removing that fluff means first knowing that it is fluff when reading a script.

Which brings us back to the question...how dedicated is Canonical in bringing the new user to Linux? Hacking a script? Geek please. Most people wouldn't know how to make it executable. Not to mention opening it up and checking the hooks and calls for security reasons. But I wander from the original topic.

Like I've never done that before....
tuxchick

May 04, 2010
10:34 AM EDT
helios, again you assume that all new Linux users are computer novices. Tisn't true! The MS/Apple worlds are full of advanced users and programmers who do not blanch at the notion of actually having to type or read something. We need to present the whole picture. If we sell Linux as Fisher Price, then we'll only attract preschool-level users.
dinotrac

May 04, 2010
10:56 AM EDT
TC -

I'll go one step further. Truly new users are not a huge problem. The bigger problem is users who have learned something else and are pre-conditioned to a certain way of doing things.

I've gotten reasonably comfortable with Macs, but...the first time? Sheesh. The "computer for the rest of us" was the computer that told me to shove it up my anal region.
tuxchick

May 04, 2010
11:05 AM EDT
True, dino, though even there generalizations don't hold up. My first ever PC was a Mac. It was fun, but even without a frame of reference the more I got into it the more I wished for something else. Then I got a Windows 3.1/DOS 5 machine. A fabulous education in workarounds and fixing junk, and unlike the Mac lots of hardware fun. But still itchy and inadequate. Then Red Hat 4 or 5 came into my life, and it made sense. Somebody screwed up somewhere, by that time I should have been a wizened Unix geekbeard instead of a computing noob.
gus3

May 04, 2010
12:02 PM EDT
TC with a beard?

Must... purge... mental... image...

GAH!
tracyanne

May 04, 2010
5:27 PM EDT
Quoting:The MS/Apple worlds are full of advanced users and programmers who do not blanch at the notion of actually having to type or read something.

The number that actually use, and somehow enjoy, using the Microsoft command line, astounds me.
techiem2

May 04, 2010
6:37 PM EDT
Quoting:The number that actually use, and somehow enjoy, using the Microsoft command line, astounds me.

Yeah....after you use *nix for a while and have to sit down and work on a Windows box you sit there going "ugh...I could do this is 5 seconds on my *nix command line...but Windows doesn't have that in cli or gui...." or "oh right....I can't do that in the Windows cli...their version of the command is broken"

tracyanne

May 04, 2010
6:45 PM EDT
@techiem2 I've been trying to get a bloke to move to Linux. He almost exclusively use the Windows Command line on his computer, hates menus. But somehow he finds the Linux CLI scary?
hkwint

May 04, 2010
10:49 PM EDT
Quoting:The bigger problem is users who have learned something else and are pre-conditioned to a certain way of doing things.

Yo talkin' to me man!

Indeed, I've been installing XP for more times than I have fingers and toes together, and the first thing to do after installing XP is running some 'tweak uitls'. You know, some scripts to make XP behave less misserable. Away with the Teletubbie-mountain, back to classic start menu, fix the annoying SMB-bug in the register, show file-exts by default, make the darn' warnings about 'system files' go away, that kinda' things. Install usefull stuff like OOo, Opera and Phoenix (later Firefox). And add anti-bactereal layer: SpyBotSD, WinWasher, Lavasoft, what-have-you, the whole myriad pandora plethora of usual cruft fitted all together nicely on my must-not-loose CDROM.

So, then I installed (Open)BSD, it was done, and I didn't know how to proceed. Luckily, there was 'afterboot(8)' telling how to proceed. And 'root' received a mail (a freakin' sendmail installation configured & working right out of the box!). NetBSD was even better, because it just had a guide, and if you followed the whole guide, you had done the whole setup at the end.

Then I went to Linux, and I was in a shock. There was no afterboot. No tweak-utils. No 'follow-this-guide-and-you're-set-and-done'. OK, there are nice Gentoo guides, but they take ten years of reading.

After two years of extensive 25h-a-day usage and after the dust settled down Linux wasn't all that bad. Most configuration was done by hand, which was the best way to make sure I knew what was going on. I was in control. I was the allmighty master! Of course, because after all, I had an enabled (!) root account on my box. Written the 'sudoers' file by hand - from scratch brain processed config-gore from bare EBNF!

But darn, it took a long time. OK, most of it was working 10x as fast as I got (any) BSD working, but compared to Windows, hell, this was working! I was glad I was so ill at the time I couldn't make it to college, and in fact, I couldn't make it far beyond the screen of my computer.

However, most people don't want to be in control (hence why public transport is much more successful than cars, isn't it?). They don't want to waste time on understanding what's going on.

They want stuff working and done. Yesterday!

And they want purple.

_________

So what are my thoughts about the issue at hand? I dunno, I'm not a Debian user, though I do have my own Debian VPS now (joined the cozy family at last!)

"It should provide a GUI with access to a repository of repositories. And it should support recipes to install non-free stuff like VMWare".

I understand, to a certain degree, Ubuntu already has these features. So it's not as medieval as I first thought. After all, I have already been bashed for supposing you had to hunt down VMWare on the Wirld Wild Web, shoot it, skin it, roast it and install it without cutlery.

Apart from that, they should work on getting these patent-crocks settled. Move Canonical to Tadzjikistan or Somalia, the only countries without ties to the WTO as far as I understand. Run it from there, just take Mint and distribute it from outside the WTO (and ACTA for that part). Sabayon and Mint get away with it. Duh, they're making less money than Microsoft in the blink of an eye. On Gentoo it's easy to install Free Software exactly in the same (transparent) way as VMWarez and other proprietary stuff, so there's no reason Ubuntu should be failing.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!