Good move, wrong Price.

Story: Linux Mint Presents the mintBoxTotal Replies: 17
Author Content
Fettoosh

Jun 08, 2012
8:29 PM EDT
I applaud their effort, but I don't anticipate to be successful with such pricing.

Any one in the US can purchase one of these from NewEgg, which have almost the same specification but a lot cheaper than $550..

CPU box => $155. 4GB Memory => $ 40. 300GB HD => $ 70.

Total => $265.

That is how much I payed for one of the two systems I recently purchased.

penguinist

Jun 08, 2012
8:42 PM EDT
Have you looked at this one?

$179 +another $21 for 4GB memory with dual-core 2.13GHz Intel Atom processor. They are backordered right now, but mine comes in July 2.
kennethh

Jun 08, 2012
9:50 PM EDT
It's a good start regardless of whom the target audience is. The more choice the better. For some folks this might be a perfect solution.
tuxchick

Jun 08, 2012
9:54 PM EDT
Just don't say minty fresh or refreshing. Please. I beg you.
Fettoosh

Jun 08, 2012
9:59 PM EDT
I saw that and one with D2100. They keep coming down in price. the one I bought for $155 was put on sale after I bought it for $130.

By the way, the memory was for $24 not $40.

The nice thing about these little form factors is they can be mounted on the back of a monitor.

For personal use, I don't know why would any one want to buy from an OEM.

Fettoosh

Jun 08, 2012
10:23 PM EDT
Quoting:It's a good start regardless of whom the target audience is

True, it is a start, but better systems from major OEMs with Windows are even cheaper. Why would a Windows user want to buy one?

There needs to be another incentive for Windows users who have no idea what Linux is to buy a computer and try out Linux.

dinotrac

Jun 09, 2012
5:02 AM EDT
Maybe the mint guys don't want to hop aboard the Foxconn train. Can't say that I blame them for that.

The mintbox is more than a little pricey for my budget, but, in fairness, it does look like a much better piece of equipment than the Foxconn box -- the metal case is, umm, cool.
Fettoosh

Jun 09, 2012
9:47 AM EDT
Quoting:the metal case is, umm, cool.

@Dino,

To a lawyer, appearance might make a big difference, to an engineer, not so much. :-)

tuxchick

Jun 09, 2012
12:31 PM EDT
Quoting: better systems from major OEMs with Windows

In my experience they're not. They're specced to the micro-penny, and use cr@p components that rely on Windows drivers for essential functionality instead of using decent hardware, like graphics, audio, and networking. They like to play funny games, for example Dell is famous for their dumb proprietary power supplies-- the only different is they changed the pinouts. They like to make it hard to impossible to do basic upgrades like memory and storage. The Mint box is a complete system with way more ports-- the Foxconn dealie doesn't have a hard drive, and is low-specced cheapo deluxe plastique everything. It's still a big price difference, but the Mint box is significantly better. I think Foxconn is teh poo anyway. I'd rather get good hardware than save a few bucks on cheap junk that vexes and annoys.

I don't understand the economics of electronics; it seems like it's always a disproportionate price jump from junky stuff to decent stuff.
dinotrac

Jun 09, 2012
12:58 PM EDT
@fettoosh --

Ummmm.....in an engineering sense they are pretty cool if your goal is to make a zero-noise unit that doesn't overheat. You can use the metal case to dissipate heat.
Fettoosh

Jun 09, 2012
11:37 PM EDT
Quoting:In my experience they're not.

@TC,

A professional would consider the items you cited, but an average user normally doesn't.

The units I purchased had no issues at all so far. It is true they all plastic, but seem durable if I don't abuse them.

It is true that the Foxconn unit doesn't have a drive, but is a snap in and the cost I cited includes a 300GB HDrive.

Beside, isn't Foxconn the manufacturer that makes all Apple's hardware? I would expect some kind of quality in their products.

All I am saying is the average user would look at the $550 price and turn away. But if they have a Foxconn unit and add $100 for installation and support, that would be much more reasonable and enticing.

In comparison to this Open-pc.com unit I say it is too expensive.

Any ways, I wish them good luck and I hope it works out for them.

JaseP

Jun 11, 2012
11:27 AM EDT
Point of comparison is worth mentioning here: These mint box machines are AMD dual core processors, not Intel Atom processors. They have Radeon graphics chipsets, not Intel GMA3150s,... Big difference between that and the New Egg small profile machines mentioned... I'd like to see this machine's benchmarks before I would accept it being compared to Atom based machines.
helios

Jun 11, 2012
11:37 AM EDT
My concern is the Radeon graphics. Every time I see one come across the Reglue work stations, I am tempted to make the sign of the cross,
dinotrac

Jun 11, 2012
11:43 AM EDT
Ken --

Just so I clear...

that's the sign of the cross, and not just you being cross?
helios

Jun 11, 2012
11:57 AM EDT
Dino....

Yes.
JaseP

Jun 11, 2012
12:02 PM EDT
Setting up Radon graphics is a pain,... but once they are set up, they are generally stable and fast (the newer chipsets, that is).
gus3

Jun 11, 2012
2:17 PM EDT
Radon graphics show their FPS via a Geiger counter.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
dinotrac

Jun 11, 2012
6:22 PM EDT
@gus3 -

Wait, how did we get to an angry man counting parcels in France?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!