Someone else fingers this problem !

Story: gEdit shows that GNOME wants to drive users away Total Replies: 25
Author Content
Ridcully

May 05, 2014
8:04 AM EDT
And it is the situation where a superb package that does everything you want.....is developed. And why is it developed ? Almost invariably it is because the DEVELOPERS believe that it should be better - not the users' wishes......And the results ? Little by little (or with an enormous crash), the superb package becomes something you wish had never been foisted on you because of software bloat, loss of ability, reduction of speed, increased complexity, instability, loss of flexibility, forced software impediments, etc......... oKay, I can think of a DE that has done exactly this......or perhaps even two of them. And now everybody can tell me I'm wrong. :-) I don't mind.
hitest

May 05, 2014
9:13 AM EDT
Quoting: And now everybody can tell me I'm wrong. :-) I don't mind.

You're not wrong, you nailed it. I liked gEdit a very long time ago when I ran Gnome 2.x. I have happiliy switched to XFCE on Linux and the BSDs. For an editor I use nano, leafpad, or mousepad. Continual change for the sake of change is not always a good thing.
Fettoosh

May 05, 2014
11:58 AM EDT
Change is inevitable, whether it is good or bad depends on the receiving end.

kikinovak

May 05, 2014
1:15 PM EDT
I see two possibilities here.

1. Switch to MATE, which is basically "GNOME done right", and use their Gedit fork Pluma.

2. Even better, stick with Vi. No bullsh-t since 1976.
Steven_Rosenber

May 05, 2014
2:20 PM EDT
There's always Geany http://www.geany.org/
gus3

May 05, 2014
3:55 PM EDT
Nedit, the One True Editor.
nmset

May 05, 2014
4:33 PM EDT
notepad ? It never changes, lol...
Ridcully

May 05, 2014
6:30 PM EDT
It is amazing how the same message is coming up again and again on these threads: "The developers develop because they want something different and supposedly better, but only succeed in making things less useful, bloated, etc. etc."....Try reading the last 8 posts on the thread "Here's mine Ken".

As Fetoosh remarks: "Developers and Users are never satisfied with anything. Keep hacking till it gets better." But I read it a different way....Quite often the users are eminently satisfied with a software package and very much like what they've got....it's the developers who have itchy fingers. That old truism comes home to haunt us again and again:

"A normal person says: If it ain't broke, don't fix it ! A software developer says: If it ain't broke, develop it until it is."

:-) But change is inevitable. All we can do is dance to the tunes and hope that the changes really are for the better. Too often they are not.

nmset

May 06, 2014
3:19 AM EDT
Bah ! Just a generation gap problem. Users adapt to developers, because developers make it happen, for any software, open or closed source.
flufferbeer

May 06, 2014
12:19 PM EDT
@kinkiovak + others,

> 2. Even better, stick with Vi. No bullsh-t since 1976.

Besides vi and vim, it seems to me that Emacs is ALSO quite universal. Emacs is easily available for the commandline AS WELL AS the GUI of Linux+xBSD distros since whenever.

2c
gus3

May 06, 2014
1:29 PM EDT
Emacs, the OS with an embedded editor.
jdixon

May 06, 2014
8:45 PM EDT
> And now everybody can tell me I'm wrong. :-) I don't mind.

Well, it looks like someone has tried, with the article titled "Stop Complaining, Gedit Is Better Than Ever".

Strange how the with certain groups the response to complaints is always "Shut up and go away", isn't it?
tmx

May 06, 2014
8:53 PM EDT
I use Kate and KDE, haven't been on Gnome ever since they came out with that Gnome Shell.
JaseP

May 07, 2014
5:04 AM EDT
I'm with tmx on this one... Now that I'm back in school, getting a second bachelor's (in Comp. Sci.), I find kate to be everything I've wanted in an editor... Less than an IDE,... but more than something like nano...

I ran away from KDe back when 4.0 came out,... only to run back to it when Gnome 3.0 (& Unity) came out...
hitest

May 07, 2014
6:50 AM EDT
@JasP

Quoting:I ran away from KDe back when 4.0 came out,... only to run back to it when Gnome 3.0 (& Unity) came out...

Yep. I did like KDE 3.5.X. I also abandoned KDE, never to return.

@kikinovak

If XFCE goes south I think MATE would be a good alternative for me.

Regarding editors. I say use whatever gets the job done for you.
Fettoosh

May 07, 2014
2:31 PM EDT
I also use Kate and find it very suitable for the moderate entertaining development I do. I never abandoned KDE not even during the rocky times of KDE 4,0, and never regretted it. It is the only DE I use after trying various ones. What can I say, it is my perfect preference. Is it for every one, not at all but to the majority according to various polls.

mbaehrlxer

May 07, 2014
5:05 PM EDT
noone here has mentioned vi yet, and since we are talking GUI apps, i'll throw in gvim.

now, don't get me wrong, although i use vi for many years i never really liked it. i am still coming to terms with its quirks, but the following post demonstrates that there is one thing that vi can do that no other editor has in this form: composable commands:

Why Atom Can’t Replace Vim

greetings, eMBee.
BernardSwiss

May 07, 2014
8:05 PM EDT
How many of these editors will let you insert columns?
mbaehrlxer

May 08, 2014
12:29 AM EDT
vi does:

4l<ctrl>-vG4I <esc><down>

4l: move to column 4

ctrl-v: activate visual block mode

G: jump to end of file

4l: move again to column 4

I: insert before the selection

: type a space (or whatever you want to insert

esc: exit insert mode

down: down arrow, and there is your column.

even easier is to use visual block mode to select and copy a column and then insert it somewhere else.

another way:

:%s/(^.{,4})/1/

globally replace the first 4 columns with themselves and a space.

there is possibly even easier ways that i am not aware of. i am mostly using the copy-block method myself.

greetings, eMBee.
BernardSwiss

May 08, 2014
12:48 AM EDT
Yes, that's explained in vimtutor. And I think it's it's pretty cool.

Although I use it so rarely that, sometimes, I'll need to refresh my memory on the details before using it (but when I do use it, it's well worth the effort of looking up again, because of how much hassle it ends up saving me).

What I was wondering is which other editors have anything similar.

Or, for that matter, whether any other editors have their own equally special "killer features" that I might like to know about.

notbob

May 08, 2014
10:44 AM EDT
You pick a gui editor, you gonna suffer gui grade changes. A no-brainer.

While I consider vi the heart of evil, at least it doesn't change annually into something entirely alien. vi is still the same vi I've always despised, and so remains forever useful within its bizarre methodology and my disgusted experience.

As for Gedit, I don't get the attraction. The much loved Learning Python the Hard Way fanatically insists on using Gedit. OK, I'll play. Looks like a dozen other gui editors, near as I can tell. Simple, straight forward, basic. What they did to it in the last iteration I can only imagine, as I discovered I can do python on emacs jes as easily and requires little or no learning curve (not tha gedit really requires one).

Someone asked what is the "killer feature" of any one particular editor. For your edification, I submit that the bash shell CLI uses the same editing keystrokes as emacs, so that knowledge is infinitely handy. ;)
BernardSwiss

May 08, 2014
9:24 PM EDT
IIRC, one can choose (ie. it's configurable) whether the bash shell uses an emacs or a vi paradigm.

Yep
Quoting: READLINE This is the library that handles reading input when using an interac‐ tive shell, unless the --noediting option is given at shell invocation. Line editing is also used when using the -e option to the read builtin. By default, the line editing commands are similar to those of emacs. A vi-style line editing interface is also available. Line editing can be enabled at any time using the -o emacs or -o vi options to the set builtin (see SHELL BUILTIN COMMANDS below). To turn off line editing after the shell is running, use the +o emacs or +o vi options to the set builtin.
Quoting: set [--abefhkmnptuvxBCEHPT] [-o option] [arg ...]

... -o option-name The option-name can be one of the following:

emacs Use an emacs-style command line editing inter‐ face. This is enabled by default when the shell is interactive, unless the shell is started with the --noediting option. This also affects the editing interface used for read -e. ...

vi Use a vi-style command line editing interface. This also affects the editing interface used for read -e.

Quoting: Readline Variables Readline has variables that can be used to further customize its behav‐ ior. A variable may be set in the inputrc file with a statement of the form

set variable-name value ...

editing-mode (emacs) Controls whether readline begins with a set of key bindings sim‐ ilar to emacs or vi. editing-mode can be set to either emacs or vi.

So... if you really, really, really like vi better than emacs.... 8-)

I like Vim, and it's one of the first things I install on a new system, and I use it for about half my text editing tasks, but this still strikes me as over-kill.
notbob

May 09, 2014
9:14 AM EDT
> So... if you really, really, really like vi better than emacs

So, do you still have to add an extra keystroke to change modes?
gus3

May 09, 2014
7:48 PM EDT
That Vim insert column example was way overblown:

:1,$s/^/(4_spaces_here)/g

Search for the beginning of the line, change to four spaces.
CFWhitman

May 09, 2014
9:23 PM EDT
My problem with vi was always that I found it annoying to have to keep track of what mode I was in.
mbaehrlxer

May 10, 2014
11:49 PM EDT
if in doubt, press <esc>, then you know ...

it's worse when i think that i am not in insert mode and later find all those pieces of text starting with "i"

greetings, eMBee.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!