Reading the fine print

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
penguinist

Nov 14, 2014
8:50 AM EDT
Ahhh, I just read some of the Microsoft fine print. It seems that MS is opening ONLY the server side .NET and not the client side .NET.

This makes more sense to me now. Microsoft has lost the server space to Linux and wants it back. On the other hand, the client side momentum still belongs to MS and they want no "leakage" of that piece to Linux desktops.

Ok, now it all falls into place for me.
JaseP

Nov 14, 2014
9:04 AM EDT
Want it "back?" Did they ever really have dominance in the first place? I thought it was a Unix or Netscape world before Linux started taking over ...
penguinist

Nov 14, 2014
9:34 AM EDT
JaseP: Thank you for correcting my error. Linux/Unix has always had the server space, and Microsoft wants in, and is willing to use _server_side_only_ .NET as bait.

The question is, are there FOSS developers who will take this bait?
CFWhitman

Nov 14, 2014
1:51 PM EDT
That depends on what part of the server space you mean. Microsoft never was dominant for Web servers or big data. However, for desktop management through directory services they took over from Novell and they are still pretty dominant.
JaseP

Nov 14, 2014
4:44 PM EDT
My limited experience has seen SAMBA servers being more dominant in directory services. MS seems to be dominant in MS specific server services, like Outlook, and license servers, etc...

You cannot post until you login.