Untitled

Story: How to defrag your Linux systemTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
notbob

Jun 15, 2015
6:14 PM EDT
> "There is a common misconception among GNU/Linux users that our systems never ever need to be defragmented."

Perhaps this is the reason:

"Linux ext2, ext3, and ext4: Much like UFS, these filesystems employ allocation techniques designed to keep fragmentation under control at all times. As a result, defragmentation is not needed in the vast majority of cases."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defragmentation

I've been using Linux for over 10 yrs and have yet to defrag any HDD. And believe me, all my HDDs have been "limited space". Heck, my current HDD (desktop) is only 60Gs. ;)

Someone is not telling the truth. 8|
JaseP

Jun 15, 2015
9:29 PM EDT
Methinks someone just misses defragging their hard drives from their old Windows days,... I think it made them feel "technie." I haven't defragged a HDD myself in the 15 yrs or so that I've used Linux almost exclusively, either...
mbaehrlxer

Jun 16, 2015
12:57 AM EDT
it's not just making them feel techie, it's making them feel that their computer is faster. you know, like gentoo users. ;-)

duck and cover! eMBee.
BernardSwiss

Jun 16, 2015
3:31 AM EDT
"Limited space" means not "small, but "nearly full", right? (Of course, one does tend to lead to the other.)
gus3

Jun 16, 2015
3:41 PM EDT
Defragmentation does help in one aspect: I/O merging. The more I/O accomplished per request, the better.
mbaehrlxer

Jun 17, 2015
6:00 AM EDT
i thought i have come across a tool or an article discussing the idea tto check which files are loaded the most, and then somehow locate them together. so not just defragmentation but ordering by activity.

greetings, eMBee.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!