A bit superficial

Story: How to Use Android like a PCTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
montezuma

Jun 16, 2015
9:23 AM EDT
Why would you want to use a tablet as a PC? Why not just use linux on a PC?

All these convergence stories regarding smartphones and tablets are a bit asinine in my view. Hardware is so cheap these days that you may as well just use the tool that is most convenient to the task at hand and for many jobs the PC is great.

OTOH many apps on a tablet/smartphone are handy in differing circumstances particularly if you are travelling.

Horses for courses.
nmset

Jun 16, 2015
11:21 AM EDT
>Use Android as a PC

We can use a full desktop like LXDE on the tablet in chroot and VNC. That works great. Not for heavy typing though.
penguinist

Jun 16, 2015
12:26 PM EDT
You can take your tablets, I'll be happy with my < 2 lb ultrabook with keyboard running a full capability Linux.
JaseP

Jun 16, 2015
3:02 PM EDT
Every device has its usage...

Tablets are great for light web use and light content consumption,... and light gaming (Notice the emphasis on "light?"). Netbooks/convertibles are great for similar things plus some light content creation and light coding, as well as a lightweight tool for administrative stuff while "on the go." Laptops can range anywhere from where a tablet or netbook is inappropriate, all the way up through heavy workstation use (depending on the hardware you have). Workstations (a/k/a desktops) are good for all purposes, plus have the ability to have their hardware easily reconfigured. ... And then there are rack-mounted servers,... a completely different animal, altogether.

To discount an entire form-factor out of personal preference is silly. Plus, I haven't even brought up embedded/set-top boxes...
penguinist

Jun 16, 2015
4:50 PM EDT
Well maybe I came on a bit strong, but you can mark that up as my way of getting attention. I also use tablets but for some very limited purposes. Tablets fit in a pocket and so are more portable than a 2 lb ultrabook, and they serve as a convenient viewing surface for pdf documents and web. If you need to do more than document (online and offline) viewing, then the tablet is a bit limiting.

Beyond those limited roles, it is worthwhile to me to carry a slightly larger package and have the full power of a Linux computer at my disposal.
mbaehrlxer

Jun 17, 2015
6:02 AM EDT
penguinist: what model do you have?
penguinist

Jun 17, 2015
8:06 AM EDT
ultrabook: Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro with i7 and 256GB ssd running Fedora 22 -- xfce

tablet: Nexus 7 running cyanogenmod 10.1.3 based on android 4.2.2 (these are the last versions to NOT use selinux to lock down the system)

phone: Nokia N9 running Meego 1.2 (a very nice Linux-based phone OS developed by Nokia before they were seduced by Microsoft)

desktop: "homebuilt" hardware running Fedora 22 xfce and driving a 39 inch 3840x2160 high res monitor

servers/clusters: various hardware running CentOS 6 (this is the last version to NOT rely on systemd)
thenixedreport

Jun 24, 2015
1:05 AM EDT
I have an RCA tablet with an included keyboard folio. I recently found a Bluetooth mouse on clearance, so I don't have to worry about smudging the screen as much. It comes in handy when it comes to selecting text to change formatting in a document that I'm editing. Thanks to this, I'll be using my tablet on the go more often.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!