Where?

Story: Ubuntu Touch Transforms into a PC with Just a Bluetooth MouseTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
notbob

Jul 24, 2015
3:09 PM EDT
.....am I supposed to buy one of these things!?

We keep hearing about it, about all the new features, all the new developers, etc. I keep seeing articles about how great it is and how much more it can do. It's getting "convergence", whatever that is. It's can be a PC ....blah blah. Seems it can be almost everything except "available for purchase".

What's the hold-up? No providers willing to provide a plan? Let USA buyers and developers get in on the action. They will bring the app count up, tout de suite. Here's an app to tell you yer shoelaces are untied. Howazbout an app to tally yer daily fart count?

All I want is a mobile device that gives me "control". I moved from Windows to Linux to get such control, then the mobil device developers put me right back in the "we own you" box. I'm not a happy camper. :(
mbaehrlxer

Jul 30, 2015
3:20 AM EDT
Quoting:Seems it can be almost everything except "available for purchase".

hehe.

Quoting:All I want is a mobile device that gives me "control".

looking for the same. except i also want it to fit in my pocket. none of the ubuntu phones match that.

tried firefox os since last year. it's usable, but i don't really feel more in control about it. on the contrary, it is missing an independent market like f-droid from trustable source.

now i am looking at a samsung z1 tizen. my hopes are not to high. we'll see.

greetings, eMBee.
nmset

Jul 30, 2015
3:27 AM EDT
>except "available for purchase".

Doesn't the Meizu MX4 Ubuntu Edition fit that expectation ?
notbob

Jul 30, 2015
12:37 PM EDT
> Doesn't the Meizu MX4 Ubuntu Edition fit that expectation ?

Apparently, yes, and I thank you for making me aware of its availability.

OTOH, who has $350 to blow on a 1st gen device that doesn't even take a memory chip? ......and with a 20MP camera? Also, I've yet to locate a review that shows the CLI. Or don't ubuntu users know what a CLI is?

Perhaps by time I've saved enough to buy one, they'll have most of the bugs worked out. ;)
Fettoosh

Jul 30, 2015
2:04 PM EDT
Doesn't this make you a little hopeful?
nmset

Jul 30, 2015
2:29 PM EDT
I agree the lack of SD card support and the price are not appealing. Yet it's a first step, which is different from no step at all. I've downloaded the Ubuntu image used by the Plasma Mobile guys, to see what's inside, it's a standard Linux distro, with su. It won't be a PC experience, but you'll have a platform under control, by that I mean, you can be root without any monkey gesticulations, as we have to do now with Android. Now it's all with OEMs, they adopt or reject Ubuntu Touch with Mir or Plasma Mobile. I hope they adopt it generally, prices will drop naturally. Let me add that Canonical is the only company pushing a standard Linux image with GNU libc for John Doe, we like or dislike Canonical or Mark Shuttleworth, he has this credit.
JaseP

Jul 30, 2015
5:09 PM EDT
Quoting: Let me add that Canonical is the only company pushing a standard Linux image with GNU libc for John Doe, we like or dislike Canonical or Mark Shuttleworth, he has this credit.

Since the Nokia n900,... Sadly, you're right about this. I would prefer a full GNU/Linux to Android. Unfortunately, Android is the only platform that T-mobile really supports WiFi calling with,... and that only with stock images. And T-mobile is one of the only carriers that supports WiFi calling at all (certainly the biggest).

Forget updates on anything but the latest phones,... And forget being able to really do anything, other than maybe rooting and removing some bloatware (it helps quite a bit, but not as much as one would like). A full Linux would be a godsend...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!