Modest Support Method for Favorite Projects ... not always easy to do

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
TxtEdMacs

Jul 01, 2017
12:49 PM EDT
I would like to buy a couple of T-shirts with the project title, logo or whatever on it as my means of getting a useful item while throwing a bit of cash at the project. Not so easily accomplished.

By my estimate it takes $40 USD to get $5 sent to Mint and getting a shirt with their mini logo discretely positioned on it (includes approximate currency exchange charge). A direct donation makes more sense were I not switching to Debian.

Firefox, I have the original shirt for the first version 1.0 release and I want another more recent vintage. Their site lacks a store front. Advice states a cash donation gets a T-shirt, but no amount was mentioned. The latter dates from 2014. So I sent a direct inquiry to learn if this is still true to: donate@mozilla.org I received an automated message from mozilla stating that is one of the addresses I should address questions to. So it is becoming increasingly clear I shall never receive a real response on how much I should reasonably donate. There are many instances of Firefox T-Shirts being sold on eBay, but I tend to doubt any cash makes it finally to the Mozilla Foundation. Any suggestions other than inquiring with each seller as to the amount they "donate" to Mozilla?

I hope I have better luck with Debian, but I would like to get a Firefox shirt first.

My thanks in advance.
jdixon

Jul 01, 2017
12:56 PM EDT
> There are many instances of Firefox T-Shirts being sold on eBay, but I tend to doubt any cash makes it finally to the Mozilla Foundation.

Firefox doesn't need your donation. They has more than enough money to waste on the cause celebre of the day, which is far more important to them than coding. If you want to support making a good browser, give to Pale Moon or one of the other alternative browsers.
mbaehrlxer

Jul 01, 2017
2:29 PM EDT
according to this page: http://www.xpagedeveloper.com/2012/donate-to-mozilla-and-get... a donation of $1 should be enough.

as jdixon said, mozilla doesn't need the donations for firefox development: http://computerworld.com/article/2862717/mozilla-were-not-as...

they use the donations for other projects.

i'd say that in that case mozilla is doing it right. firefox development is securely funded by revenue, and other projects are funded by the donations of those that want to fund them.

greetings, eMBee.
jdixon

Jul 01, 2017
7:43 PM EDT
> ...as jdixon said, mozilla doesn't need the donations for firefox development:

You're more polite than I am. :) Which is probably a good thing.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!